Steak ‘N Shake Fish Sandwich
  • I love the Fish Filet sandwich at McDonald’s but my waistline suffered the consequences
  • In my opinion, it was just mayo with relish
  • I consider it a better bargain because for the same price as McDonald’s, you also get a side of French fries, not to mention a bigger sandwich

• by carblover

I love the Fish Filet sandwich at McDonald’s but my waistline suffered the consequences. It doesn’t have any fresh vegetables and has three artery-clogging ingredients – cheese, fried fish, and tartar sauce. I wanted to see if there was a better fish sandwich out there that was a little healthier.

For a hamburger restaurant, the fish sandwich at SteakN Shake was quite good. The filet (deep-fried, of course) was bigger and thicker than McDonald’s, moist and nicely flaky; it was covered with a bread coating that

gave the fish a nice crunch. It paired well with their supposed tartar sauce. In my opinion, it was just mayo with relish; it had no tang or tartar quality. But any fried sandwich tastes good with plain mayo. The bun wasn’t just an ordinary hamburger bun. It was slightly sweet and most certainly buttery, which complemented well with the thick flakiness of the fish. Unlike other fast food restaurants, where they charge $0.50 for adding a flimsy leaf of lettuce, SteakN ...

• Shake allowed me to add lettuce, tomato and onions without charge. And it was a generous amount of vegetables, which you don’t get at most fast food restaurants. I liked that the lettuce wasn’t shredded (which makes eating less messy), the tomato slice was thick and fresh, and the onion was cut into rings rather than pieces. The whole sandwich was so tall that it took effort to take a complete bite.

get a side of French fries, not to mention a bigger sandwich. If you want cheese on the sandwich, they charge $0.50 and have more cheese selections, like swiss and pepper jack. The assembly of the sandwich is one of the neatest I’ve seen at a fast food restaurant. At some places, it looked like they frisbee-ed the meat onto the bun. For once, I didn’t have to open the sandwich to rearrange anything. Overall, the sandwich was heartier and a better bargain than McDonald’s.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272102999920628/k2311a0221/2.21.10