Kashi Heart-to-Heart Roasted Garlic Crackers
1.5
  • However, if you noticed the salt content, you may be turned away from the fact that it is more than recommended by the FDA

• by carblover

Triscuits is one of my favorite snacks. However, if you noticed the salt content, you may be turned away from the fact that it is more than recommended by the FDA. Although it is healthier than other snacks in the market, it is still not a recommended snack for someone with high blood pressure. Since being diagnosed with hypertension by my doctor, I needed to find an alternative to my usual snacks of potato chips, Doritos and salted nuts.

Walking down the

snack aisle, I noticed my favorite cereal brand company, Kashi, have also released some new crackers. The picture showed a cracker that looked very similar to Triscuits. The fiber content read 4 grams, but more importantly, the sodium content was extremely low as compared to Triscuits. I decided to try it.

On the first bite, I came to realize why salt is important to foods. It was extremely bland and I felt like I was eating shredded wheat without the sugar.

• Although it may please health advocates due to its low sodium count and low sugar and lack of additives or preservatives, it certainly didn’t please my palate. I would rather not waste my calories on something that tastes like nothing. In order to make it palatable, I needed hummus or nacho cheese which has added salt. But by doing so, this defeats the purpose for people trying to find alternatives to less healthy snacks.

The box reads “heart-to-heart” so it is specifically

made for people like me who needs to lower their blood pressure. It also has grape extract which claims to aid in lowering blood pressure. However, I would prefer to get the benefits of these extracts in other foods because these crackers were extremely bland. It didn’t remind me of Triscuits at all and rather reminded me of a thinner, unflavored shredded wheat cereal. Perhaps Kashi should find the fine balance between health and taste in order for the company to go mainstream.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272002999261128/k2311a0220/2.20.10