Eilean Donan Castle  » Travel  »
St. Donan/ Loch Duich, The Highlands of Scotland
  • On my recent trip to the United Kingdom, I spent a week in Scotland and discovered many amazing historic landmarks and castles
  • Rooms had been carefully decorated and restored (I learned the castle has been destroyed re-built several times over the years) A kitchen had been set up to portray the sights and sounds of a 13th century kitchen, complete with mannequins in period dress
  • You won't regret it, and you'll never forget it

• by Reviewabit

On my recent trip to the United Kingdom, I spent a week in Scotland and discovered many amazing historic landmarks and castles. One of my favorite castles was Eilean Donan, a 13th century castle situated on an island in the Scottish Highlands. I was told by my guide it was a “must see,” and so we drove an incredibly long way to get to it.

I must say it was well worth it. I didn’t expect to recognize the small castle, but the moment I saw it, I felt as if I’d seen it a million times before.

The fact is, I probably had! I read on the welcome brochure that the castle had been used as

a set in many Hollywood movies, and its portrait on countless postcards and travel brochures. The reason is its sheer beauty.

It is a magical, mystical, storybook vision from a distance, and becomes even more beautiful when its details are revealed. Walking up the rough road to the castle itself on this particular day was a bit of a challenge, because the wind from the sea was whipping like crazy and the cold, salty mist stung our eyes.

As strange as it sounds, this was not in the least bit annoying at the time, because it seemed to be the perfect setting for the misty, ethereal site before us. I had to stop four times to ask my friend ...

• to take another picture, because it seemed to pretty to be real.

Walking into the castle I was instantly warmed by the atmosphere. Rooms had been carefully decorated and restored (I learned the castle has been destroyed re-built several times over the years) A kitchen had been set up to portray the sights and sounds of a 13th century kitchen, complete with mannequins in period dress.

This was really adorable and it was so much fun walking around looking at all the old-style implements, with details intact and a recording of kitchen sound effects playing in a loop. I don’t have kids but I thought at the time what an absolutely amazing field trip this could

be for young school children.

We were welcomed by clan MacRae representatives at the entrance to the castle and they were very friendly and helpful. One gentleman was dressed in an old style MacRae tartan kilt complete with weaponry, and stood at the door to allow us to have our picture taken with him.

I did find it difficult to maneuver the steep spiral staircases in the castle, but it is an ancient castle after all so in a way it was part of the fun. I’m pretty sure high heels were not invented in Scotland! For anyone making a trip to the Highlands, do take some time to visit this fairytale place.

You won’t regret it, and you’ll never forget it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381902998671128/k2311a0219/2.19.10