EXCELLENCE L’Oreal Hair Color
  • It's a genetic thing, and while I don't like it much, I am not terribly upset either, because they are of a beautiful hue
  • I like the fact that it does cover the grey hair and that the hues are actually a close approximation to what I would like to achieve
  • And the gloves that come with the product are really wonderful – the best I have gotten with any hair dyeing product so far - because they are not those awkward one-size-fits-all (in reality, fits NONE)
  • While the safety gloves are very fine, and many may like the little comb that is supposed to facilitate even application (I don't use it though), the two hair care products are quite superfluous, in my opinion, and only add to the price tag
  • And I dislike having to pay extra for products that I know I am not going to use – nor do I need them

• by Pretty Polly

I have had a lot of grey – actually, white – hair ever since I was in my mid-twenties. It’s a genetic thing, and while I don’t like it much, I am not terribly upset either, because they are of a beautiful hue. Still, having white hair is so far removed from the image I should present - if I want to stay truthful to myself – that I dye it (and cannot imagine not doing so).

My color of choice is very light ash blond, and the dyes I use have to be able to cover grey hairs completely. That limits my choice somewhat, because many of the lighter shades require previous bleaching – which I am not willing to do.

I have used many different brands over the years, but since I discovered the Excellence line (L’Oreal) about three years ago, I often use their dye.

I like the fact that it does cover the grey hair and that the hues are actually a close approximation to what I would like to achieve. It is also simple t use (but then most such

products are nowadays). And the gloves that come with the product are really wonderful – the best I have gotten with any hair dyeing product so far - because they are not those awkward one-size-fits-all (in reality, fits NONE).

But does this product have the “excellence” that its name indicates?

I would say it’s good – very good, even.

However, there ar a few minuses that absolutely have to be addressed.

The greatest minus should become self-evident as soon as you mix the dye and the developer (i.e. prepare the dyeing paste): the ammonia stench is, quite LITERALLY, eye-watering. And I am not talking about smelling it by sticking one’s nose in the container – no, it makes my eyes water even from the distance of about a metre or so. I don’t recall even ammonia on its own producing such a strong reaction! (On the bright side, it would probably clear up a stuffed nose in a matter of seconds…)

Another thing that annoys me – and, I am sure, many others – is the amount of unnecessary “extras” that come with the dye.

• While the safety gloves are very fine, and many may like the little comb that is supposed to facilitate even application (I don’t use it though), the two hair care products are quite superfluous, in my opinion, and only add to the price tag. (I suspect that may very well their primary purpose.) There is a pre-dying cream that you’re supposed to use to “protect” your hair from the damaging effects of dyeing, and a post-dyeing product that is supposed to do, well, more of the same. (I suppose that stinking ammonia is the reason for that, although I can’t say my hair feels or looks damaged because of using this particular product…)

I used the first “extra” product one only once, because I discovered that the dye doesn’t seem to work that well on “protected” hair (at least in my experience it didn’t), and the second one also once. I can’t even remember its effects, if any, so they surely weren’t that memorable.

I think many, if not most, people prefer to simply use their own regular hair care products, because they feel they

can rely on the effects; certainly I am one of them. And I dislike having to pay extra for products that I know I am not going to use – nor do I need them. I really wish the people at L’Oreal were smarter, especially in these “recession” times, and thought about removing these products while cutting the price. That way they would probably get many more customers.

The greatest minus should become self-evident as soon as you mix the dye and the developer (i.e. prepare the dyeing paste): the ammonia stench is, quite LITERALLY, eye-watering. And I am not talking about smelling it by sticking one’s nose in the container – no, it makes my eyes water, instantly, even from the distance of about a metre or so. I don’t recall even ammonia on its own producing such a strong reaction! (On the bright side, it would probably clear up a stuffed nose in a matter of seconds…)

I am still using this product for now… but I suspect it’s only a matter of time before I switch to a more consumer-friendly and sensible product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 311902997820928/k2311a0219/2.19.10