Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Women’s Halfpipe Qualifying  » Sport  »
  • Today I watched the qualifying for Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Women's Halfpipe competition, and it was very interesting
  • I noticed during the men's round yesterday how loose the contestants were, talking with one another and encouraging teammates, even right before the event
  • Halfpipe is definitely its own breed of sport
  • I can only saw that I thought her tricks and height were right up there with the names I'm used to hearing in this sport

• by Orrymain

Today I watched the qualifying for Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Women’s Halfpipe competition, and it was very interesting.

One of the things that amazes me about this halfpipe competition is that the competitors are different from other athletes. They have a different preparation and the camaraderie and feel of the hunt seems to be unique. I noticed during the men’s round yesterday how loose the contestants were, talking with one another and encouraging teammates, even right before the

event.

In this qualifying round, I was amused by America’s Kelly Clark who apparently sings audibly for everyone to hear while she waits to begin her runs. I’ve never seen that before. She just sings and sings until it’s time to actually go into her act.

Halfpipe is definitely its own breed of sport.

The women didn’t seem to get the height of the men from what I saw. The tricks didn’t look that outstanding, either, though it might ...

• just be because this was qualifying. That said, it was still exciting to see the control they had in getting their bodies and boards to react as they want.

Clark, by the way, ended up in the number two position after her runs. Australia’s Torah Bright was first, and she was a kick to watch, not just for her moves, but for her bright smile. I’d say in this case her name fits her personality.

America has a

very strong contingency here, so if they don’t end up getting on the podium, it’ll be a real shocker. I don’t know a lot about the international contingency, but Spain’s Queralt Castellet seemed to be a big surprise. I can only saw that I thought her tricks and height were right up there with the names I’m used to hearing in this sport.

I plan to definitely watch the finals. This is looking to be an exciting time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351802997180828/k2311a0218/2.18.10