Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Men’s Halfpipe  » Sport  »
  • One of the amazing runs through the pipe was by Japan's Okubo Kazumiro

• by Orrymain

America’s Louie Vito isn’t normally the type of guy I’d say is cute, but after watching him on Dancing with the Stars, he is kinda cute. After seeing this different dancing side of him, how can I not root for him at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics? In his first attempt to get to the finals of Halfpipe, he started out great and then hit the sideboard on the way down, ruining his run.

Shaun White, also of America, powered and wowed his way into the finals. There was no doubt about his qualifying. I can’t say I’m a fan of him. Apparently, to be a

male snowboarder, you have to look wild, and that’s just not my style.

Vito, though, wasn’t about to be shut out and in his second run was awesome.

The moves these competitors do scare me to death. Double corks they call one of them. It’s amazing to me. On a snowboard, they run up and down a pipe-like course, doing tricks high into the air and twirling around at the very top. It’s exhilarating and frightening. It’s wild.

In the finals, Scotty Lago of America had a nice run and jumped to the lead. Greg Bretz went after and did well until he fell. He didn’t ...

• get rotated and just slid out, which was a shame.

Louie’s first run was solid but needs more difficulty apparently. He was 3rd after this run.

One of the amazing runs through the pipe was by Japan’s Okubo Kazumiro. He had terrific height but crashed out towards the end on the landing.

With Johnson having an outstanding score and being in the lead after the first run, America’s Bretz tried his best, but went down on a double cork. Maybe he’ll be back in 4 years. He’s the youngest member of USA men’s team at 19.

Pironen of Finland ended up with the silver medal, but it was controversial.

He was scored inconsistently when compared to some of the other competitors. The commentators were surprised and so was I. I admit I’m an amateur at this, but you can see and feel the thrill of these runs because of their intensity and when something is off, you see it.

Lago ended up with the bronze, but it was Johnson who brought home the gold. His victory lap was the 2nd run and he stunned halfpipe loyalists with a stunning new move.

All I can is that while I don’t have the terminology down for halfpipe, with the heights and moves these athletes make, I can’t help but love to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351802997150828/k2311a0218/2.18.10