Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Women’s Super Combined
  • The Women's Super Combined is one of the sports I love to watch during any Winter Olympics, including this 2010 Vancouver one
  • What I like about this sport is the speed and agility of the skiers

• by Orrymain

The Women’s Super Combined is one of the sports I love to watch during any Winter Olympics, including this 2010 Vancouver one. Of course, it’s extra exciting if your country has a chance to win a medal or two. The Super Combined totals the times of one downhill run and one slalom run. The fastest of the two timed events wins the gold.

What I like about this sport is the speed and agility of the skiers. I love seeing the views from the mountaintop and watching them race on the snow. It’s incredibly awesome and always fascinates me.

Of note in my mind was America’s Julia Mancuso solid downhill. She’s having

a good Olympics thus far. She was followed by Austria’s Elisabeth Goergl, who had a bit of trouble near the top. It was a bobble that caused her to take a wider line than normal. She also had a wide turn later on that hampered her goal. Then it was Lindsey Vonn of the USA who skated a solid run down the hill to take over the first place spot.

Maria Riesch of Germany didn’t seem to have control of the course in this downhill. She almost took herself out of it with a horrible unanticipated flight into the air. There’s a bump in the snow that was hard for the ...

• competitors to see, and it sent Riesch up into the air, her position awkward, and she had to fight for control. Here’s how good she is, though. Riesch came in after Vonn, but three-tenths ahead of Mancuso. That was a great recovery. What was fun, too, was watching her talk over the bump with Vonn at the bottom.

I have to applaud Anja Parson of Sweden, who competed in this event after a nasty fall in yesterday’s downhill event. This girl should be in a hospital in my mind, but she’s got that athlete’s heart and gave it her all in this event. She took it cautiously, but she got down

the hill and ended up in the seventh position. That’s what the Olympics are about.

The slalom is not that exciting to me. I don’t have an affinity for the gates, which do little but confuse me. However, when they got to the big guns of the race, it’s still hard not to get into it and root on the leaders.

Mancuso surprised many by doing well in the slalom and actually bringing home the silver. It was Riesch who brought gold to Germany once Vonn hooked a tip on the slalom and fell, crashing out. Amazinging, Parson won the bronze. I am just so impressed with Parson. I love the Olympic spirit.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351802997090828/k2311a0218/2.18.10