Betty Crocker Bake & Fill Cake Pan Set  » Housewares  »
  • Since I spend a good part of my time baking, I thought it might be fun to try the Betty Crocker Bake & Fill cake pan set
  • After the fun I had with the first cake, I decided to try to make an ice cream filled cake for a party I was soon to attend

• by Jude244

Since I spend a good part of my time baking, I thought it might be fun to try the Betty Crocker Bake & Fill cake pan set. The Bake &Fill comes with a tall pan, a base pan, and an insert pan. This set can be used with any prepackaged cake mix as well as from scratch recipes. It also comes with an instruction and recipe book that includes how to make frosted layer cakes, filled cakes, specialty tortes, and baked Alaska. It even shows fun serving suggestions like creating a baseball cake for a sports themed birthday.

The first cake that I made with the pan was the frosted layer cake variety. For the frosted layer cake, I used two packages of Betty Crocker super moist cake mix. You have to use the directions already found on the cake box to have the proper amounts of eggs, and oil to add in. Also, and this is important, all the

pan pieces have to be have to be greased with shortening and not cooking spray. I actually had to go out and get shortening because previously I’ve always used Pam spray instead. The frosted cake wasn’t difficult to make. The instructions were pretty straight forward. There were even pictures included in case there was any doubt after reading a step.

For my cake, I filled the tall pan with one prepared box of cake mix. The other cake mix was prepared and then divided since the insert pan only required half the mix. The remaining batter was used for cupcakes so as not to waste it. After I baked the cakes at 350 degrees for 50 minutes and then cooled them for at least 20 minutes, I then removed the insert pan. This is done by twisting it counterclockwise and then lifting the inset off.

Next, and this is the fun part, I filled the cake cavity of ...

• the tall pan with frosting. I then placed the insert pan cake, which already had been removed from its pan, on top of the cavity. I put a plate face down over it and then inverted the whole thing so that the tall pan cake was out of the pan and now right side up and ready to be frosted and decorated. I was pretty satisfied with the results. The cake had a perfect shape and did not crumble or break coming out of the pans. It was impressive to look at but it seemed a little dry. Next time, I will cook it less than the 50-60 minutes suggested and add a little more moisture to the batter.

After the fun I had with the first cake, I decided to try to make an ice cream filled cake for a party I was soon to attend. For this cake, I used all three pans as well as two Betty

Crocker super moist cake mixes, and a quart of pre softened ice cream for the cavity of the baked and cooled cake. The instructions were similar to the first cake however the cooking times changed and there was an additional step. For the extra step, you had to put the ice cream into the cavity smooth it down so its even, and then after the cake is topped with the base cake, the whole thing goes in the freezer so the ice cream can setup. For this cake, I used chocolate cake and Neapolitan ice cream to make three pretty layers. Once again, it turned out great and everybody raved about it at the party!

In conclusion, if you love to bake and want to create beautiful cakes for your next celebration, this may be the bake set you have been looking for. The Bake & Fill is inexpensive, can be used with prepackaged mixes, and makes creating specialty cakes a snap!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531802997000828/k2311a0218/2.18.10