Hamsters As Pets  » Pets  »
2.0
  • Plus, I think hamsters are just too small to be safe for kids to have
  • I don't recommend letting a hamster ever sleep in a bedroom either, as it will stay up all night on its exercise wheel

• by Jenn

I personally will never get another hamster as a pet. I had a small Teddy Bear hamster in my childhood, and my son recently asked me to get one. My answer was, “No way, Jose!”. I remember all the annoying things about my hamster. His name was Floyd, and he was a big pain in the neck. I say this having had many pets thorughout my life: I rather take in another dog or cat than get a hamster!

I feel hamsters are more trouble than they are worth.

Hamsters require expensive bedding that has to be purchased, before being soiled and then replaced weekly. Every week. For up to three years or more!! Not for me, thanks. It’s almost as bad as having a litter box, but without the cute cat!

Plus, I think hamsters are just too small to be safe for kids to have. I know I wasn’t careful enough with mine. They are small little creatures who move fast and often bite. It may not hurt like a dog bite,

• but it may startle enough for the child to throw it down, hurting it and letting it run away and get lost.

I don’t recommend letting a hamster ever sleep in a bedroom either, as it will stay up all night on its exercise wheel. Hamsters are very active at night, and this used to irritate me on a regular basis because mine DID have to live in my room.

Feeding my hamster wasn’t a big inconvenience for me, just a block of packaged hamster food from the pet store. I

didn’t find it to be too expensive. Water was easy too; you just mount a bottle on the side and the hamster can lick up what he needs from the roller ball stuck in the tube on the end of the bottle.

Going out of town was a pain for me with a hamster too, because no one wanted to have to come change bedding or touch the thing since it looked so much like a mouse! It was very, very cute though, I have to say. But remember: looks can be deceiving!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291802996740728/k2311a0218/2.18.10