Birds As Indoor Pets  » Pets  »
2.0
  • Those birds were parakeets and love birds, and I found them quite annoying most of the time
  • Food, bedding and playtime aside, you must consider grooming your pet bird
  • I don't like the idea of clipping a bird's flight wings, but if you don't your bird might just take off on you
  • But having pet birds in small indoor cages with clipped wings and making noise all the time is not for me, and I don't recommend it to anyone who values quiet in their home, or who dislikes cleaning bird poop daily

• by Jenn

I don’t particularly like the idea of birds as pets inside the home. I have lived in a home where birds were kept, though they weren’t mine. Those birds were parakeets and love birds, and I found them quite annoying most of the time!

First of all, birds are messy creatures. They kick their bedding and food out of their cages and onto the floor or any surface beneath them. When I would let the birds out

to play, they obviously would poop whereever it happened to land because birds can’t control their waste products or when it will come out.

Birds also require a lot of care. Food, bedding and playtime aside, you must consider grooming your pet bird. I don’t like the idea of clipping a bird’s flight wings, but if you don’t your bird might just take off on you!

One good thing about pet birds is that bathing is easy, since ...

• many birds like to take showers perched on their owners’ shoulder or arm. Obviously don’t use people soap! Just let them enjoy the water beating down on their feathers.

The thing I most dislike about having birds as indoor pets though is their noise! Birds are loud little buggers; almost all of them. You may luck out and get an individual bird that is rather quiet, but as a rule, no breed of bird is

exempt from the noisy and/or messy rule. Those two rules are almost universal when it comes to birds!

If you have the time and money, and you love birds, you could build an outdoor aviary-type enclosure to house a bird collection. But having pet birds in small indoor cages with clipped wings and making noise all the time is not for me, and I don’t recommend it to anyone who values quiet in their home, or who dislikes cleaning bird poop daily!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291802996710728/k2311a0218/2.18.10