Annie Chun’s Udon Soup Bowl
  • So at least from a cost and convenience standpoint, they meet the demands pretty darn well
  • So if you can boil or heat up some water to start, I'd highly recommend it

• by Zeke Allen

Over the past couple years, I’ve been working to find lots of things that I can have at work in very limited storage space that are tasty to eat for breakfast and lunches (luckily I am not usually at work long enough to have to eat dinner there as well!) and one of the things I’ve come across has been Annie Chun’s noodle and soup bowls. I picked them up at first because they were inexpensive (around two dollars) a piece and they could just be thrown in a drawer and taken out when necessary. So at least from

a cost and convenience standpoint, they meet the demands pretty darn well. Also nice that the bowl will supposedly rot so it won’t sit in a landfill for the next two hundred thousand years.

The particular flavor I had today is the Udon Soup Bowl, which is pretty tasty and pretty easy to modify to add other foods or things to spice it up. It is relatively easy to prepare, though this is where one of the main complaints comes in.

The first step is to open up the noodle bag and put the noodles in some hot water to allow ...

• them to break apart naturally. If you just force it, they stick together and break into small pieces, so they add this first step. The water has to be REALLY hot, or it doesn’t end up working all that well. So if you can boil or heat up some water to start, I’d highly recommend it. If you can get them to separate nicely, it really does make eating them more pleasurable.

Once you’ve separated the noodles and then added the soup base and the vegetable packet, you just heat it up in the microwave and eat it.

Pretty simple. The Udon is tasty and not too strong, so I really like it. I’ve added couscous (also really easy to make with limited facilites) and today I added some sardines which were really good though their super strong flavor does overwhelm some of the more delicate flavors in the soup.

The only other complaint I have is that it can be tough to carry the bowl so try to throw a plate or something under it so that you don’t have to burn your fingers just to get it from the microwave to where you are eating.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531702995950828/k2311a0217/2.17.10