JACQUOT Chocolate Truffles
  • I'll admit the first thing that made my notice them (being in a chocolate store, surrounded by nothing BUT chocolate) was the pretty golden – yet relatively subdued, nothing gaudy - carton box
  • Inside they hide the smoothest chewy dark chocolate filling, very rich in taste, yet not cloying

• by Pretty Polly

Not being a particularly avid chocolate consumer I only discovered these venerable French bonbons (the factory, while backed by big capital now, has been in operation since 1922) only two years ago, while shopping for my aunt who IS a chocolate addict.

I’ll admit the first thing that made my notice them (being in a chocolate store, surrounded by nothing BUT chocolate) was the pretty golden – yet relatively subdued, nothing

gaudy - carton box. But its fetching packaging would never have been the reason for buying them, were they not good. And they WERE good: even – or especially! - a non-chocoholic, like myself, could appreciate the quality of the chocolate truffles.(I was offered one to try before I buy).

Jacquot’s truffles are (as truffles are supposed to be) a big bite-size each, heavily dusted with dark (bitter) chocolate powder of ...

• the finest quality. Inside they hide the smoothest chewy dark chocolate filling, very rich in taste, yet not cloying. (You could actually imagine someone drinking fine red wine with them, as the various health gurus are now recommending.) The texture of both the filling and the outer coat of chocolate “dust” is just perfect, and the flavors as well as the textures complement each other.

It is a good thing that

one single truffle is so filling that you could easily resist overindulging in them.

Then again, maybe not.

My aunt didn’t. She was charmed by them; and the truffles disappeared in less than an hour.

I would say Jacquot’s chocolate truffles are probably a very good gift for any chocolate lover, no matter how sophisticated in their tastes, and certainly far above certain popular gift-shop bestsellers, such as Ferrero Rocher’s chocolate products.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271702995280728/k2311a0217/2.17.10