Target Stores Internship  » Job  »
1.5
2205 Walker Lake Rd Ontario, OH
  • I assumed this meant there would be opportunities during the internship for finance-related things, but there was not- that was the first issue I had
  • My director mentor was a previous intern and she was the particular problem
  • I would not recommend this internship unless you are a very upbeat and energetic person and you can also please people, even at 4 am while unloading a truck
  • The only thing I got out of it was that I found out I have a strong interest in human resources

• by Katie

I spent a summer as an executive team leader intern at Target. My major in college is in finance. I did research ahead of time on Target because they were coming to a career fair at my college, and “finance” was listed as a major they were looking for. I assumed this meant there would be opportunities during the internship for finance-related things, but there was not- that was the first issue I had.

The actual interview process was intense, but it made sense. I did three interviews all on the same day. The interviews were behavioral-based. These recruiters were from Sandusky,

Ohio and they were very professional and nice.

I hadn’t heard from Target in months, so I assumed I did not get the internship, but then they called me at the beginning of the year. After a phone interview, I confirmed that I would work with them in Sandusky, Ohio. A few months later, right before summer, they told me that it wasn’t going to work out in Sandusky, and tried to get me to go to a store that would be a 1.5 hour drive. I told them I could work at Mansfield only, and they accepted.

The actual internship for ...

• me was awful. From the very first day, I felt very intimidated by the executive team. My director mentor was a previous intern and she was the particular problem. She never encouraged me, only pointed out negative things. She constantly would talk bad about team members to me, and then act nice around them two seconds later. I couldn’t stand the fake culture at Target. It is also very discriminatory to older people, because they try to have all their executives be straight out of college.

The actual process of the internship was three weeks of learning the store routines, and seven

weeks and being a leader and taking on a special project. Target is a great place for someone in college that doesn’t know what they want to do with their life, but not for people like myself. You work long, hard hours and never get away from tasks like running a cash register.

I would not recommend this internship unless you are a very upbeat and energetic person and you can also please people, even at 4 a.m. while unloading a truck. The only thing I got out of it was that I found out I have a strong interest in human resources.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 61702995160628/k2311a0217/2.17.10