DirecTv Satellite Service
  • Overall, I have been happy with the programming variety, relatively satisfied with the cost and often less than enthused about the customer service
  • The few times I've had problems with my service or equipment, DirecTv personnel have never been what I would consider to be especially helpful
  • When a piece of DirecTv equipment that we lease from them failed recently, DirecTv wanted to charge me to replace and ship it, when the malfunction was an internal issue with their equipment
  • I don't know if I'd recommend DirecTv based solely on customer service, but I do recommend their general service
  • I love being able to record my shows whenever I want, and control live TV a bit more with my DVR receiver

• by Jenn Waite

I’ve used DirecTv as my television service provider for the last five years. Overall, I have been happy with the programming variety, relatively satisfied with the cost and often less than enthused about the customer service.

I currently have a package with DirecTv that is no longer available to new customers, so I won’t bother naming it. However, I pay roughly $60 a month for programming and get most channels available, with the exception of some specialty sports networks and premium pay channels such as HBO or Showtime.

My local channels are included, and I can order pay-per-view (or “On Demand”, as DirecTv calls it) if I plug a phone line in (who does that??). I don’t have time to find a long cord to plug in across my house to watch a movie, so DirecTv loses my dollar there. I’d rather go out and rent a movie somewhere than worry about plugging stuff in!

I haven’t had many problems with DirecTv service. The few times I’ve had problems with my service or equipment, DirecTv personnel ...

• have never been what I would consider to be especially helpful. When a piece of DirecTv equipment that we lease from them failed recently, DirecTv wanted to charge me to replace and ship it, when the malfunction was an internal issue with their equipment.

I refused, and eventually was appeased after threatening to leave the company in favor of a competitor (a move I hate having to resort to). But only after I agreed to a monthly service plan, which they tried to charge me for. We

negotiated a credit that balanced out the cost, and I agreed. Under the plan, DirecTv sent me my equipment free of charge, and now all is well.

I don’t know if I’d recommend DirecTv based solely on customer service, but I do recommend their general service. And I recommend their DVR service! I love being able to record my shows whenever I want, and “control” live TV a bit more with my DVR receiver. For only $5 a month, it’s one extra feature I consider to be worth the fee.

DirecTv Satellite Service

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 231702995010628/k2311a0217/2.17.10