Nook
  • After extensive consideration of whether I wanted to enter the brave new world of electronic books, I decided that the exciting ability to feed my voracious reading habit without having to lug around physical books anymore would indeed warrant this leap of faith
  • The Nook is packaged in a stark, modern box and packaging, though unfortunately, it's not nearly as intuitive and simple a process to get your Nook out of its packaging as you would expect
  • Like everything else in the technology and electronics realm, I'm sure that 5 years from now, e-readers will probably not look and act at all like the Nook today, but overall I'm happy with my decision not to wait-and-see and purchase the Nook now

• by gemma10

After extensive consideration of whether I wanted to enter the brave new world of electronic books, I decided that the exciting ability to feed my voracious reading habit without having to lug around physical books anymore would indeed warrant this leap of faith…and so began my careful comparison of Barnes and Noble’s “Nook” vs. Amazon’s “Kindle” - and ultimately my purchase of a Nook which I happily review below.

For me, the decision on a Nook as my new e-reader was an easy one hinging on a few key points:

- The Nook’s beautiful color touch screen on the bottom instead of the unwieldy keyboard of the Kindle in the same location

- WiFi connectivity and specialized content and promotions

while with your Nook at the tons of physical Barnes and Noble stores

- A memory expansion slot (originally you get 2GB of internal memory) in which you can add up to a 16GB micro SD card for additional memory capacity

- The Nook’s “Lend Me” feature, which is the ability to lend out e-books you’ve purchased to friends and family for free for 14 days

After pre-ordering my Nook and a sumptuous leather Nook cover (also sold at Barnes and Noble or its website), it arrived in approximately 6 weeks. Yeah!! One thing that potential consumers should be prepared for when they purchase and receive their Nook is the packaging. The Nook is packaged in a ...

• stark, modern box and packaging, though unfortunately, it’s not nearly as intuitive and simple a process to get your Nook out of its packaging as you would expect!

Once released from its difficult packaging fortress, the Nook was everything I hoped it would be: a nice weight (only a few pounds), a great sleek design and feel, a robust, effective and attention-grabbing color touch screen on the bottom, nice font selections and size options, the ease of the unlit e-ink screen on the eyes, the fantastic selection of e-books available through Barnes and Noble, good battery life (10 days) and a generally acceptable time of just 1-3 seconds when turning a digital page.

All in all, I’m thrilled with

my Nook. Additionally, the processing speeds when turning pages and using the different functions of the Nook have already sped up with the recent release of its 1.2.0 software version this past week. Like everything else in the technology and electronics realm, I’m sure that 5 years from now, e-readers will probably not look and act at all like the Nook today, but overall I’m happy with my decision not to wait-and-see and purchase the Nook now. It’s been a fun new “toy” and a great solution to buying, carrying and storing tons and tons of physical books.

I recommend the Nook with a smile!

Thank you for the opportunity to provide my opinions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161602993871028/k2311a0216/2.16.10