Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Men’s Snowboard Cross Qualifying
2.5
  • I must admit I haven't watched Men's Snowboard Cross that much over the years
  • However, the jumps aren't to show tricks or height

• by Orrymain

I must admit I haven’t watched Men’s Snowboard Cross that much over the years. This is one of the newer Olympic events, one of the winter extreme sports added to the list of competitions. As I watch the qualifying the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, I realized something. I was bored. Worse, I was bored stiff.

The qualifiers go down this long course on their snowboards. There are a lot of turns and some jumps.

However, the jumps aren’t to show tricks or height. It’s just an obstacle, or feature as they apparently call it. I watched these men make their way down the course and couldn’t wait for it to end. I didn’t quite get the excitement in how the qualifying was done.

Then I figured it out, a little, when I liked the qualifying for this event to the NASCAR qualifying. While the top 35 cars are ...

• locked into the race, sometimes the real meaning of qualifying isn’t even where they start, but what pit stall they get. Apparently in snowboarding, the fastest man gets to select his lane and ends up racing the three worst qualifiers. This has a cascading effect, so the higher you qualify, the better your odds are of going against the worst in the heats that follow the individual qualifying. Their starting lane is equivalent to NASCAR’s
        pit stall.

Still, there just wasn’t any excitement. America’s best hopes were Nate Holland and Seth Westcott, who actually had 2 wobbles on each run but was secure for the following heats.

I also don’t know if that horn that kept going off at the beginning of numerous runs was tied in to the event or not. However, it gave me a headache.

This qualifying was a horrible waste of time. There wasn’t a single run that had been truly involved.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351602993651028/k2311a0216/2.16.10