Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Figure Skating - Pairs Short Program  » Sport  »
  • I love figure skating, but I have to say that I'm really sick and tired of improper scoring, skaters falling, and this crazy holding their legs up by touching their skates
  • I have a definite issue with their 8th place finish considering the fall
  • Russia's Kavaguti and Smirnov are an interesting pair
  • China's Zhang and Zhang had outfits that matched in design, though I don't like them

• by Orrymain

There were twenty couples participating in the Pairs Short Program of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics for figure skating. I love figure skating, but I have to say that I’m really sick and tired of improper scoring, skaters falling, and this crazy holding their legs up by touching their skates. The latter takes away from the artistry. I hate it. The former makes me watch less. In fact, I question the Canadian scores (again).

First to skate was China’s Shen and Zhao. They are the favorites. They were perfection on opening side by side jumps and were totally in sync. I wasn’t crazy about their music or his shirt, but the routine was wonderful.

America’s Denney and Barrett had music that was a big turn off for me. I loved her red costume, but it doesn’t coordinate that well with his black attire. They had a nice throw triple lutz and side by side spins with changing speeds, which I was mesmerized by. The routine felt a little awkward at the beginning and a bit before their last sequence.

Russia’s Bazarov and Lariyonov had beautiful, serene music,

and a rough start. They weren’t in unison and it looked to me like right at the end she had a little stumble step; could just have been me, but it looked odd. It did capture my attention.

America’s Evora and Ladwig lacked in their costumes. I wish they’d been a little more cohesive. She had a belt like piece that was a distraction, and their colors needed to be better coordinated. On their opening jumps, she was off a tad but hung on. Their unison was pretty good and they were spot on with their musical ending.

Canada’s Langlois and Hay performed to Imagination, which was quite nice. Their outfits matched nicely. They did have a rough twist move, but also had a really nice throw and landing. This couple did a dancing bit in the middle that was so pretty. I enjoyed that bit so much. She did a beautiful exit drop, and then they had a nice ending spin sequence with a well timed ending.

Russia’s Mukhortova and Trankov were scored much higher than they deserved. Their outfits matched nicely, though his reminded ...

• me of a farmer; still, the colors worked. The music was beautiful. He fell on first move sadly, though there were some nice moves otherwise. During their spin sequence, I could hear their coach yelling out moves, telling them when to transition from piece to piece. I have a definite issue with their 8th place finish considering the fall.

Russia’s Kavaguti and Smirnov are an interesting pair. She’s Japanese, but renounced her citizenship and is now a Russian citizen. Their performance was very light and airy. It flowed wonderfully, though the music wasn’t very compelling.

Canada’s Dube and Davison make me ask this question. Is the fix in? I think so, based on their scores. She fell on their side by side jump. He had a double step at the end. Their entire performance was not fluid. They just weren’t that good, and even the commentators were shocked. Fix! Big time fix here! I will also say that I wasn’t fond of the outfits, though they were among the most creative matching sets.

China’s Pang and Tong had okay music. His

outfit was horrid, ugly to the max. They were a little off on synchronization in my view, but I liked their middle section that led to the end. They had nice moves and it felt free. It was a strong performance.

China’s Zhang and Zhang had outfits that matched in design, though I don’t like them. They had good music, and performed a nice spin section with some different moves. However, their unison off on the end of their spins.

Germany’s Savchenko and Szolkowy actually wore costumes — clowns. Some announces made fun of that, but I liked it. They were performing to Send in the Clowns, and it was beautiful. They had a lovely opening throw. They made their side by side jumps though not in unison there. They were perfectly in sync for their spins. This was an engaging short program and I liked it.

So, at the end of the short, Shen and Zhao were in the lead. The Americans were both underscored, while there was suspicious scoring with one of the Canadian teams. I hope the judges do better for the free skate.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351602993611028/k2311a0216/2.16.10