The Funny Book of Cricket  » Books  »
  • I thought it was well put together and although not particularly original in its content was well worth the couple of pounds it cost me to pick it up in a second hand bookshop
  • I actually enjoyed handling the book, which is not a comment that is usually included in a book review but which in this case is very relevant
  • The size is perfect to slip into the pocket of a bag, although I think it is a little too large for a coat or jacket pocket and certainly far too big for jeans etc. The paper is high quality, glossy and bright, and the print and picture reproduction is good as well

• by fredhound

The Funny Book of Cricket is a nicely produced little hardback book containing a number of cartoons, quotations and humorous comments relating to the sport of cricket. I thought it was well put together and although not particularly original in its content was well worth the couple of pounds it cost me to pick it up in a second hand bookshop.

relevant. The size is perfect to slip into the pocket of a bag, although I think it is a little too large for a coat or jacket pocket and certainly far too big for jeans etc. The paper is high quality, glossy and bright, and the print and picture reproduction is good as well.

Karen Sullivan, who collected the text pieces, does seem to have a good feel for the sport, and although some of the snippets she includes are very well known - such as the ...

• famous quote about a call from Denis Compton being no more than “a basis for negotiations”, there is also plenty of material that I had not seen before, though some of this was dubious in its provenance. In fact, none of the pieces used is sourced to anything like an academic standard!

Douglas Ingram’s drawings are bright and colourful and can often bring a smile, although I would not say that any of them are exceptionally funny. I do think, however, that he is pretty skilful at

drawing facial expressions, and it is things like, for example, the look on the face of the hapless batsman who has just had a hole made in his bat by a screamingly fast delivery, that show off his work to best effect.

This is a small book that is intended to be a bit of fun rather than anything more serious, and judged by those standards I think it succeeds. I found it fairly amusing, and I think most cricket fans would probably agree with that assessment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171502993480928/k2311a0215/2.15.10