Stirling Castle, Scotland  » Travel  »
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
  • It was an amazing experience and one day didn't seem like enough
  • I was very impressed that the few parts of the castle whose architecture had been mostly restored were constructed in a way that very carefully matched the original, and even the finishes used, we were told, would quickly age artificially so that within a very few years they would be indistinguishable from the original work
  • This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip

• by Reviewabit

On my recent five week vacation to the UK, I spent a day at Stirling Castle in Scotland. It was an amazing experience and one day didn’t seem like enough! The castle is awe-inspiringly beautiful and carefully restored and kept. I was very impressed that the few parts of the castle whose architecture had been mostly restored were constructed in a way that very carefully matched the original, and even the finishes used, we were told, would quickly “age” artificially so that within a very few years they would be indistinguishable from the original work! Impressive.

Work is ongoing, but most parts of the castle were open when I was there. When we first went in, we took the historic castle tour with a charming kilted Scotsman as our guide.

He was friendly, animated, and very open to our questions and comments. The history of this amazing landmark is fascinating and deep.

It was pointed out, probably for the younger and not-so-historically inclined, that many of the events in the movie Braveheart involved this castle, like the famous Stirling bridge battle. I loved having the stories come to life as ...

• we looked and touched the actual places where they happened.

In the Great Hall, we were able to have our picture taken with a character actor dressed as King James. Incredible photo opportunities were endless, and at the height of the great towering castle, it felt like you were on top of the world– or at least the top of Scotland.

You could see the Wallace Monument which was nearby, and there were maps and tables present so that you knew exactly what you were looking at and where to look for other landmarks. I was surprised at how “hands-on”

touring a great castle was.

Of course there were things that were off limits, but much more was open and available for us to hear see and touch. This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

It is a proud castle in a proud country, and rightly so. I can’t wait to go back, and even though there are a million more things to see in Scotland, I will still go back to Stirling.

I left the place elated and excited about the rest of my trip, because it almost seemed like a mini-tour of the country.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381502993370928/k2311a0215/2.15.10