Blackberry Curve 8330  » Phones  »
  • I've not measured it but I feel like I can be away from the charger for a day without any real issues or feeling like I can't do things I want to for fear of missing a call a few hours later, etc. I am not really sure that I like the crackberry part of the phone though
  • I don't like to constantly be available and have people expect that I will be able to answer their emails at any time of day or night
  • I thought cell phones were a great step forward since I could always decide whether or not to answer and I think I still feel that way about my emails, so this is one feature I am not really all that psyched about

• by Zeke Allen

After getting an iphone several years ago, I had forgotten how nice it was to actually have keys to press while typing messages and emails, it really was fun to have that and in such a small phone as well. I was really pleased with my first impression of the Blackberry Curve.

It isn’t perfect mind you, but it does have some great stuff that makes me like it quite a bit. As I mentioned, the keypad is really comfortable to use, just like I had on the Treo 700 prior to the iphone, even though the keys are rather small, I never had trouble typing things or hitting the

wrong keys. Well, never is a strong word, perhaps almost never!

It is also really fun to have video capture again. Even though there is an app for that on my current iphone, it is relatively buggy and not as straightforward as the built in option on the Blackberry Curve. It isn’t like I am going to use the thing to record an hour long movie or anything, but I was also surprised by the quality of the picture, it is really functional and viewable, even on a larger screen.

I was surprised at how long the battery life goes, even when using GPS and other features that needed constant ...

• contact with the tower that generally drain other phones pretty quickly. I’ve not measured it but I feel like I can be away from the charger for a day without any real issues or feeling like I can’t do things I want to for fear of missing a call a few hours later, etc.

I am not really sure that I like the “crackberry” part of the phone though. Getting push email is cool I suppose, but there are times where it is really annoying. I don’t like to constantly be available and have people expect that I will be able to answer their emails at any time of

day or night. I thought cell phones were a great step forward since I could always decide whether or not to answer and I think I still feel that way about my emails, so this is one feature I am not really all that psyched about.

It certainly lacks the internet familiarity of the browser on the iphone, I have yet to see another phone that can really compete in that arena, but other than that and the lack of some of the really fun apps on the iphone, the Blackberry Curve 8330 has been really impressive so far and I hope it remains functional and stands up to heavy use well!

Blackberry Curve 8330

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 371502993250928/k2311a0215/2.15.10