Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Nordic Combined Individual Normal Hill - 10kh
  • However, the ending alone of this grueling event, the Nordic Combined Individual Normal Hill - 10kh of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, was worth watching the whole race

• by Orrymain

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the Nordic Combined sport. I do watch it, every four years at the Olympics, but something about it doesn’t usually excite me. However, the ending alone of this grueling event, the Nordic Combined Individual Normal Hill - 10kh of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, was worth watching the whole race.

The USA team had a real shot of capturing multiple medals, including the gold. Being American, that’s what I was hoping for, of course. It looked like Todd Lodwick was going to win it for a while, but I watched him just fade.

It was odd to me because the commentators seemed to think he had it in the bag, but as the end approached, he just looked terribly tired to me. I was afraid he was going to lose a pole even. I didn’t feel like he was making the right kind of connection between his equipment and the snowy hillside. Plain and simple, the boy was tired and he couldn’t keep up the pace. He’s lucky he held on to fourth when he crossed the finish line.

Japan’s Norihito Kobayashi just flew by Lodwick and I was sure he would fly on to ...

• the finish line, but those last minute kicks by others came into play and Kobayashi ended up seventh. As I watched him and others, I felt like they needed to focus more on their own progress. So many of them kept looking behind to see where the others were. While that’s natural, it takes time, effort, and energy to turn back like that. I saw a number of positions shift while those in the lead looked back. Look forward, Gents.

America’s Johnny Spillane made a charge, but he, too, tired. I can’t imagine the endurance that is needed to complete an

event like this, but all of these guys seemed to tire. They looked like they were going to fall down and collapse, so perhaps they need to work a little harder on their endurance.

The end was extremely exciting. Even though, as I said, I’m not that taken with this ski event, watching the competitors putting forth every ounce of energy to make those last few yards had me enthralled. Ultimately, out of the blue, J. Lamy Chappuis of France took the gold, with Spillane hanging on for silver, and Italy’s Alessandro Pittin getting the bronze.

Nice race; it made me exhausted just watching it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351402990200628/k2311a0214/2.14.10