Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - opening ceremonies  » TV  »
  • The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics were definitely educational
  • I was so impressed with the solemnness that I witnessed
  • I was more focused on it than her singing, which was so-so in my opinion

• by Orrymain

The opening ceremonies for any Olympics is the tone setter. It’s the event that unites the world as we watch. Hopefully, we’ll learn something as we watch and with luck, we’ll gain respect and knowledge for the host nation.

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics were definitely educational. We learned a lot about the four nations that are officially hosting the event and those other nationalities that make up the whole of Canada.

I do like very much what the Canadians did by

first dedicating the opening ceremonies to Nodar Kumaritashvili, the luger who died tragically in practice, and then by giving him a full minute of silence later on. That full stadium was deadly quiet with respect and sorrow. I was so impressed with the solemnness that I witnessed.

A few highlights, good and bad, of these ceremonies for me:

Wayne Gretzky was no surprise as the lighter of the torch, but the idea of having all four of the last runners lighting the cauldron ...

• was fantastic. What is unfortunate is that they had a malfunction, ruining their plans. Instead of 4, only 3 of them were able to participate. I really felt bad for the woman left standing in the cold.

K.D. Lang did a wonderful job singing “Hallelujah.”

I don’t know her name, but the opera singer who sang the Olympic anthem was absolutely astounding and powerful. That said, I have no clue what the words were, but that voice had a tone of

commanding presence.

Nelly Furtado: could she sit down in that dress she was wearing? It looked like a satin sash and she was the present. I was more focused on it than her singing, which was so-so in my opinion.

The 3D stuff on the floor with the whales spouting was cool.

The best? The Both Sides Now segment, with both the young man roaming the fields and the elegant voice singing it.

This was an apt celebration for the beginning of these Vancouver Winter Olympic games.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101402990170628/k2311a0214/2.14.10