Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics - Women’s Moguls  » Sport  »
  • Briefly, I was impressed by the graceful but clearly disappointed Tae Satoya of Japan who did a so-so helicopter and then fell on her 2nd trick
  • I enjoyed young Arisa Murata, another Japanese entrant

• by Orrymain

Women’s Moguls is an exciting skiing competition that begins with a trick, proceeds to traversing the moguls, and ends with a final trick right before crossing the finish line. The judges award points based on air, speed, and turns. Canadian Jenn Heil was a favorite going in since she is the defending gold medalist.

Twenty-seven women contended in the qualifying. The down side of having competition only available on TV during prime time as we do in the USA is that you don’t get to see all of the competitors. I wish we did, so we could see the heart of all countries competing.

As it was, we saw Heil open it up with an awesome trick called a helicopter. America’s Michelle Roark, who has knee injuries, did a lot of spinning with a 720 for her first trick and a 360 spread eagle for the 2nd trick. At the time, that put her in 2nd place, but she really didn’t get the points she thought she would.

Then America’s Hannah Kearney had the fastest run down the mountain and

took the lead over from Heil. For Kearney, this was a bit of redemption from the last Olympics when she had a disastrous run. I couldn’t help but root for her.

Canada’s Kristi Richards changed her last trick to a layout which was beautiful to watch and took over 3rd place at that point. It wasn’t long, though, before USA’s Heather McPhie did a solid 360 turn, followed by a terrific back flip, giving her that 3rd place spot in the qualifying.

The final competitor we saw in qualifying was Shannon Bahrke, USA. She did good enough for sixth place.

Again, I had the sketchy coverage. Japan’s Aiko Uemura was in fourth and we never saw her in this part of the competition.

With fog rolling in to hamper visibility slightly, the finals got underway. 20 contestants participated. We were fortunate to be shown all of the last 10, but on the down side, we could only witness 3 of the first 10. I just think that it’s a shame coverage doesn’t show everyone. It’s not always about ...

• winning.

Briefly, I was impressed by the graceful but clearly disappointed Tae Satoya of Japan who did a so-so helicopter and then fell on her 2nd trick. I enjoyed young Arisa Murata, another Japanese entrant. She fumbled at the top before her first trick, but she had a great recovery and made good speed.

Russia’s Ekaterina Stolyarova had a steady run, very clean, but nothing exciting. She looked very controlled to me, but what was fun was watching her pigtails flying through the air.

Canada’s 18-year-old Chloe Dufour-lapointe Canada had some nice jumps and a bright smile. When I looked at her I thought, “She’s what the Olympics are about.”

Sadly, Roark crashed. She over-rotated her 720 which was spectacular to watch and then caught an edge. In true sportsman style, she got right back up, finished the run, did a Bronco for her second trick, and completed her competition. What a shame as it took her out of the medals.

Bahrke was next with a clean and fast run that jumped her into 1st place.

Japan’s Aiko Uemura, the ‘09 world

champion, looked real fast to me, but it was actually a slower run than Bahrke, which surprised me.

Richards then took a nasty fall on the moguls; she lost her footing. Like Roark, she got up and finished her run, doing a beautiful, air-filled trick at the end. That’s the spirit!

McPhie had it going well, but on the 2nd trick, she had too much speed and fell right on her bottom; it’s a big shame. She might have gotten a medal had she just landed that move.

Heil had a clean run, much to the Canadians screaming joy. Though her run was slower run than Bahrke, she took the lead.

However, the last person to compete, Kearney’s run was beautiful, fast, and steady. She did a back flip layout and a big helicopter, ultimately winning her the gold medal.

So, the Americans came home with the gold and the bronze, sandwiching the Canadian, with Japan knocking on the door. It was an exciting competition, full of super jumps and some unfortunate falls. I enjoyed it and found it to be an entertaining event.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351402990160628/k2311a0214/2.14.10