The Virginian: Run Away Home  » TV  »
  • Run Away Home is the second show I've noticed that was redone several years later as an episode of Alias Smith and Jones (ASAJ), which was a favorite show of mine, called The Girl in Boxcar #3

• by Orrymain

The Virginian: Run Away Home is the second show I’ve noticed that was redone several years later as an episode of Alias Smith and Jones (ASAJ), which was a favorite show of mine, called The Girl in Boxcar #3. I recall an article done during that time that talked about how scripts were altered to fit a certain series. It was openly done. The link in this case appears to be Roy Huggins who was producing some of The Virginian and all of Alias Smith and Jones. I did compare the writing credits and indeed

the original authors of this episode are also credited for ASAJ.

In this case, we have Gary Clarke’s Steve Hill character matched up with ASAJ’s Hannibal Heyes, while the Virginian (James Drury) is the same as Ben Murphy’s Kid Curry. The Virginian believes he’s carrying a ton of money, transporting it to another city. Along the way, he meets up with a girl on a freight train. She has big dreams and makes up a lot of stories about her fanciful father. Every piece of these two shows match up, even down to the Virginian ...

• getting off the train to get food and then eating it before meeting up with the girl again. The dialog matches. There’s even a bad guy who recognizes the girl from her small hometown, just like what happens on ASAJ, not to mention the masquerading as a married couple and the poignant scene with the kind couple with a sad secret.

So for me, there was no surprise about this episode of The Virginian. I’d seen it, only as ASAJ. Of course, The Virginian came first, so it was my favorite show doing the revamping and

not the other way around.

The story premise itself is okay. Frankly, it’s not my favorite ASAJ episode, either. I didn’t enjoy that one much more than this one, except that Murphy and Pete Duel are favorite performers of mine, whereas I’m not really fond of any of the The Virginian regulars, except for Doug McClure, and that’s only because I was fortunate to meet him and communicate with him a bit. He’s not part of this particular episode, though.

In short, the episode is okay and probably is more entertaining because I’m chuckling at all the similarities with ASAJ.

Rick says :

Why did Betsy leave Shiloh?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101402990030628/k2311a0214/2.14.10