Deluxe Rent A Car LAX  » Car rental  »
1.5
11101 S. Hindry, Los Angeles, CA
  • Got as far as the driveway before I noticed that one of the tires was flat
  • Against my better judgement, I let him stay in the locked car while I went back and waited in line again - the agent (who actually was trying to do the right thing with the limited resources at his disposal) noticed me and came to see what the problem was
  • I took a picture of the dent, rust and all, in case they decide to make an issue of it later

• by GoodOldFashionedTypeA

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I am a big fan of carrentals.com - EXCEPT in Los Angeles. At LAX, this site always directs you to Deluxe, since they are almost without exception, the cheapest company in the area. There is a reason for that, their cars are old and abused, their service marginal at best, and their reputation is less-than-stellar. Please read on:

I am always willing to give a try to small businesses, and occasionally even a second chance. My first rental with Deluxe felt a little sleazy, due to their out of the way location, the non-company-marked bus that picks you up, and the use of the alarm to find the car assigned to you.

That first rental was for a compact. I was given a 2007 Toyota Corolla. At first glance, it didn’t seem to be too beat up. I got in, took note of the 45000+ miles on the odometer, and started to drive off. Got as far as the driveway before I

noticed that one of the tires was flat. Went back to the lot attendant, he filled the tire with air and sent me on my way (!). Miraculously, the tire held the air, and the rest of the rental was okay.

The second, and more recent rental was less smooth. I arrived in LAX late at night, and it was past 10:00 by the time my five year old and I got to Ghetto (er, Deluxe). There was a line, so we had to wait 20 minutes or so for one of the two rental agents. Since my first rental, I had been BOMBARDED with email coupons, so I provided the one that offered a free upgrade. Instead of a beat-up Corolla, I was handed the keys to the first of THREE beat-up PT Cruisers. My son was bone tired, so he laid down in the back seat while I loaded up the bags. I got in the car (53000 miles),

• and GUESS WHAT? Flat tire. Against my better judgement, I let him stay in the locked car while I went back and waited in line again - the agent (who actually was trying to do the right thing with the limited resources at his disposal) noticed me and came to see what the problem was. He threw me the keys to another PT - and the form to note the damage. I didn’t even get into that car, since as I walked around the back, I noticed that the plates were expired. Back to the counter … Finally, the third PT seemed road worthy - but old - so I piled my son and our belongings into it, and only did a hasty walk around; it was getting close to 11:00 by this time, and we still had a 40 minute drive to Orange County. I didn’t notice until later a huge dent (albeit rusted) in the fender. I took a
        picture of the dent, rust and all, in case they decide to make an issue of it later.

The return to the airport is just as chaotic as the rental. It’s NOT like Hertz or Avis where you drive up, and a smiling agent comes out, scans the car and gives you a receipt. You have to go back inside, wait in line and do an inspection. Then you have to get on the Johnny Park bus back to the airport - about a 15 minute ride.

If my own experiences were not bad enough, I have been reading about legal action against this company for all sorts of fraud and deception. I have learned my lesson - although it will not stop me from patronizing small businesses in the future. I will pay more (much more) to rent from a recognized company at LAX in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 31102988590328/k2311a0211/2.11.10