TFA Barometer  » Other  »
  • For me, the most important use of this barometer is that I am prepared and I know when I have to put in the store room things which are likely to fly when there is a thunderstorm

• by bethbarl

My husband likes to find logic in everything. Everything can be explained and everything should be logical. I am not that type of person but over the years, I must admit that I’m beginning to sound like him. As such, we have lots of little gadgets in the house whichever one we are living in. One of the latest devices he got was this TFA barometer.

I really feel like I am in a weather station every time I go outside. My husband asked me to put this device outside just under the garage which is full of trellises. This barometer functions best when it is in the exterior under a shade of some sort to give the correct readings. Making it work is easy as all I had to do was adjust the barometer to the elevation of the city which is about 1000+ meters.

This one works on battery and looks

very high tech with its silver color. It is in a rectangular shape with 3 dials on it. The hygrometer, expressed in % volume, measures the amount of humidity in the air. The middle dial is the barometer itself which is expressed in hPA (some scientific term). It gauges the atmospheric pressure. If I want to know if a thunderstorm is brewing then I just mark readings on the dial I have noted during a day or several days.

If the readings are decreasing rapidly, then I would know for sure that bad weather is coming soon. I find this aspect very useful as the country’s weather is unpredictable. It can be hot for days followed by thunderstorms or not too hot but still with thunderstorms. It can also rain for weeks without even being hot. My barometer helps me with these and I can plan accordingly. For the silliest reasons,

• I would not wash my car as it is under a covered shade and would just get dirty with all the dust and leaves falling on it. For me, the most important use of this barometer is that I am prepared and I know when I have to put in the store room things which are likely to fly when there is a thunderstorm. The storms here are quite tough and once, even a solid acacia tree was uprooted because of extreme winds and narrowly missed the roof of the house.

The other dial which is located at the bottom of my barometer is the thermometer which measures the external temperature in degrees Celsius. For me, the only thing I can find use out of it is that I know when temperatures are high or that they dip low in the night during wintertime. I also noted that there are always differences in

what the local stations are saying about maximum temperatures (+ - 2 ) than what I actually see on the barometer. Winter temperatures are exaggerated while summer temperatures are understated even if it is already so warm.

Frankly, any barometer is not a must have in your house. But, if you are camping or living in an area where the weather is very extreme and unpredictable then having a barometer will be quite handy if only to prepare yourself for weather changes. For me this barometer is a good buy as it is easy to install, adjust and the readings accurate. I rely more on this barometer than what the local stations are saying and I would not hesitate to buy the same brand again. But, this is a German product which is synonymous to precision and durability, I predict that I’m still going to keep this one for some time.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121102987910228/k2311a0211/2.11.10