Selsun Blue - Anti-Dandruff Medicated Shampoo
  • What I don't like is the medicine smell that most of them leave behind in my hair even after I rinse
  • I have also tried less expensive store brand shampoos for dandruff and I think they all basically do the same thing
  • I paid about $10 for the last bottle I purchased, and I have seen it for as much as $13 for a bottle
  • Overall I like this product and for me, it does what it is supposed to
  • I would recommend it to anyone looking to clear up dandruff and soothe an itchy dry scalp

• by mariekay

Although I don’t have severe dandruff, I do get the occasional flakes during the winter months, and I do get an itchy scalp when it’s really cold and dry outside. I have tried medicated shampoos in the past, and overall they are all good for removing flakes and moisturizing my scalp. What I don’t like is the medicine smell that most of them leave behind in my hair even after I rinse.

Selsun Blue is a medicated dandruff shampoo that works pretty well for me. It’s main ingredient is selenium sulfide, which is the same as you will find in most dandruff shampoos. I have also tried less expensive store brand shampoos for dandruff and I think they all basically do the same thing.

The thing that sets Selsun Blue apart

from the others is that I didn’t notice the smell was as strong as it sometimes is with other brands. All dandruff treatments I’ve tried have a strong smell that isn’t exactly pleasant, more medicine-like. Selsun Blue seems to be less offensive in that way, although it still does have a medicated shampoo smell. But once it’s rinsed out, I don’t notice it anymore.

The shampoo lathers up really well and you can feel it penetrating into the scalp. It leaves your hair feeling refreshed after you rinse it out. I always follow it with a heavy conditioner, though, because using the Selsun Blue too much leaves my hair feeling like straw. There are harsh chemicals in it, so I only use it occasionally when my scalp ...

• is especially dry or itchy.

The results I get from this medicated shampoo are always good. It gets rid of any flakes I may have and it soothes my itchy scalp. I have even found it to be effective on other parts of my body that might have dry flaky skin during the winter months. I have used it as a body wash on my elbows and knees and it seems to clear up the flaky skin there, too. I just put some of the shampoo in a washcloth and scrub the dry skin right off. I always make sure to follow up with a moisturizing lotion, too.

Selsun Blue is one of the more expensive medicated shampoos out there. I paid about $10 for the last bottle I

purchased, and I have seen it for as much as $13 for a bottle. But a bottle lasts me a really long time since I only use it once in a while. During the summer months I don’t need to use it at all since I never get the dry itchy scalp unless it’s cold out. I would say I purchase this product only about once every six months or so.

Overall I like this product and for me, it does what it is supposed to. Like I said, my dandruff isn’t severe, so I can only say how it works for mild dandruff and scalp itch. For those things, it does a good job. I would recommend it to anyone looking to clear up dandruff and soothe an itchy dry scalp.

Sharath says :

I need direction to use Selsun Blue Shampoo…….

John says :

Start by rinsing your hair, which would help to lather. Apply a quarter-sized amount to your hair. Let it sit for about 2 minutes. Rinse it out. Follow this same process again and rinse it out again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26902986420928/k2311a029/2.9.10