Bank of America
1.0
  • I highly recommend if you have a Bank of America credit card to cancel it, or move your outstanding balance elsewhere
  • So 6 months later my mom calls and alerts me that I have a bill here for $600 + in late fees, I was shocked, yes I know I should have been more on top of my account but I toke the reps word in good faith, and figured everything was ok
  • I was unaware of this fact because I did not receive a monthly statement, and also I was locked out of my account online and every time I tried to resolve that issue I would make the expensive international call, get transferred from person to person and eventually get hung up on
  • I relented and took this deal, one, because she was the first nice rep I had talked to in this whole mess, and two, the $78.00 dollar credit plus the previous $39.00 was almost equal to the promised $150.00, so I decided to cut my losses before something else goes wrong

• by AnnaHeather

I have been a Bank of America customer since 2001, where at the University of Vermont, I was innocently taken by the idea of having now and paying later. Of course this got me in trouble, after my four years I racked up a 1000k debt, which took me quite some time to pay off. Ever since then I have been wise with my card, only using it in dire circumstances. Late last year, while living aboard, I got into some financial troubles again, and accrued a $600 debt of late fees, on the original $70 dollar purchase. I spoke with Bank of America customer service representatives during this debacle quite a few times, and found them to be unhelpful, incompetence and in one case flat out lied to me. I highly recommend if you have a Bank of America credit card to cancel it, or move your outstanding balance elsewhere.

Their shady tactics, evasiveness with the truth, excessive fees and lack of understanding of my situation leads me to believe they are just another corrupt , money hungry super company watching out for their bottom line only. The first time I spoke to a rep about my late fee situation was in March of 2009. We set up a payment plan to have my account automatically debited each month $132 until the balance was paid in full. Or so I though, what she really did was just debit my account for two months , bringing my account current, but I still had a balance. So 6 months later my mom calls and alerts me that I have a bill here for $600 + in late fees, I was shocked, yes I know I should have been more on top of my account but I toke the reps word in good faith, and figured everything was ok.

and every time I tried to resolve that issue I would make the expensive international call, get transferred from person to person and eventually get hung up on. To add insult to injury, Band of America did not have my proper Social Security Number on file. To me this is mind boggling, in this age of identity theft and fraud you should not take those things lightly, it’s not like I was a new customer as I have been a member for almost 9 years at the time. To make matters worse the reps I spoke to could not have been more apathetic. It took me calling four separate times, to even get a representative that offered to fix it.

When I returned to the states in December 2009, I was able to make the call easily and was connected to a representative in no time. I pleaded my case to the rep, that I was under the impression that my checking account would have been debited until the balance was paid in full as per the agreement, and he was having none of it. He kept repeating that is was a mistake and there was nothing he could do. I was persistent, saying that this was unacceptable and something had to be done. Finally after an hour of fiery debate he agreed to credit my account back $150 for the companies mistake and my inconvenience.

I agreed and he adjusted my account balance. I also set up a temporary payment plan of $50 a month. Basically only paying what I could, as I was unemployed for almost a year, but since my minimum payment due was $300, I was still having a 39 late fee each monthly statement. So even though I was paying in 50 a month, only about 9 is actually coming off my account. After thinking this unpleasantness was almost over, I checked my BOA account online, and was floored by what I saw.

The ...

• unknown rep, whose word I had taken in good faith, did not credit my account $150 but only $39! I was so outraged I spent an hour on the phone being transferred back and forth, to all different departments with no communication in between, repeating my story about 20 times, and it boiled down to this. My word against the bank’s, there was nothing notated in my account about a $150 credit for late fee adjustments, most reps I talked to said they couldn’t even take off that much in fees, which I know for a fact they can, I have had to done before. Finally after an hour I gave up, resolving to take care of it in the morning and to get my refund no matter what. I was shocked and appalled with the service I had received, not only was I being accused of lying about the credit and being irresponsible with my account, it was the indifferent “ma’am I’m sorry, but I can’t help you” that I got so often. Just writing me off as someone trying to get out of her debt, it seemed to me that no one cared that this certain representative who straight up lied to me to get me off the phone, will not be held accountable for his words.

He could have said anything and with out his name and call center location, there is little anyone could do about it. So is there no consequences for a professional lying to the customer? I asked a supervisor at one point if he could track down the fellow that made the $39 credit because it was obviously the same rep, the supervisor said no, but then relented and said he would transfer me to the original representative which he did not do, my call was picked up by a random representative that had no previous knowledge of my issues. The next day I had calmed down some, and tried a new tactic.

When Kim, from the Huntsville call center answered, I amiably told her my situation and that I needed to be connected to the original representative. She had the usual response, without his name and call center location it would be almost impossible.

She was very nice and offered to credit my account $78 dollars which is the equivalent to two months of late fees if I set up a continuous payment plan for the upcoming months. She also alerted me to the fact I could pay my monthly $50 dollars directly to my balance, and my late fees would be waived for a 12 month period. That would have been brilliant to know 4 months ago!

I relented and took this deal, one, because she was the first nice rep I had talked to in this whole mess, and two, the $78 dollar credit plus the previous $39 was almost equal to the promised $150, so I decided to cut my losses before something else goes wrong. I thanked Kim and hung up. I know I could have pushed this issue further, but I fully intend to write a detailed letter to Kenneth Lewis the CEO of Bank of America and also pose the question to the knowledgeable Clark Howard.

He is a well known, money savvy millionaire who made his fortune by the age of 30. He now has a show on CNN as a consumer advocate, giving the average citizen the insider knowledge about your credit, mortgage or debit woes, the stuff that the big boys don’t want you to know. To sum it up, don’t bank with Bank of America, when I was researching the executive customer service number, which is (704)-386-5687, if you ever need it. I saw the countless posts and emails reaffirming that Bank of America does not care about it’s customers, just how much money it can make from them.

Bank of America

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 42902986110828/k2311a029/2.9.10