BIONSEN Shower Gel  » Cosmetics  »
  • I wasn't terribly impressed by the claim, written visibly on the blue plastic bottle, that it contains “Japanese spa minerals”
  • After I have dried myself with a towel,I noticed that my skin was still just as soft as it had felt when I was still wet
  • So, if anyone asked me why I like Bionsen shower gel so much, I would say
  • Of course, Bionsen also produces other body cleansing products and shampoos – but for some reason the shower gel works the best for me, so I am sticking to it

• by Pretty Polly

I have a nice collection of beauty soaps (mostly gifts) that have accumulated in my bathroom over the years. Because I like them so much? No, because I don’t use them. For the past few years I’ve been using mainly one product both for my skin AND as a hair shampoo: Bionsen Shower gel.

BIONSEN is a line of products for personal hygiene and body care produced by Glauber, a major Italian manufacturer that also produces household cleansing products. It comes in pleasantly shaped but unpretentious turquoise blue bottles made of sturdy plastic, and it is sold in most supermarkets across Europe. (I don’t know about other parts of the world.) It supposedly contains oligo-minerals, including zinc, copper and manganese, from Japanese spa waters (the volcanic spas area being known as “Onsen” in Japanese).

Recently, Bionsen has been focusing its marketing campaigns on their deodorants – because they are free of cancer-producing chemicals to be found in most other commercially produced deodorants – but the general public still seems more or less unaware of their body care products.

I became aware of

Bionsen years ago, by lucky serendipity, when I was looking for a new shower product and saw this one was on special promotional offer (two for the price of one). I wasn’t terribly impressed by the claim, written visibly on the blue plastic bottle, that it contains “Japanese spa minerals”. (Such “exotic” claims never wow me. If anything, I become suspicious.) So, I didn’t expect much.

They scored their first “point” with me when I opened the bottle and smelled it: it had a light and very pleasant “aquatic” smell.

Then, even though the gel is intended for use in the shower, I squirted a little under running water, to see how it would work in a bath. To my amazement, it produced abundant foam.

This made me suspicious of its quality (foam-producing ingredients can be drying and just not good for the skin).

However, as I emerged from the bath, I felt the skin on my body was soft to the point of being almost slippery - and it has a wonderful, refreshing scent about it.

After I have dried myself with ...

• a towel,I noticed that my skin was still just as soft as it had felt when I was still wet. Furthermore, it looked somehow plumped. And this effect was noticeable even the next day.

So the next day I used the gel on my face, too, to see how it would affect it.

Naturally, on the face the “plumping” effect was even more visible!

I couldn’t be happier – and yet, I kept waiting for any noxious effects (it was too good to be true!) to catch up with me.

They never came.

From then on, I used Bionsen Shower gel on my face whenever I wanted to deep-cleanse it – and especially the night before an important date, because I could rely on the “plumping” effect it had on the my skin.

But there’s more.

One day, I ran out of shampoo – which I only noticed AFTER I had wetted my hair. So I grabbed the Bionsen shower gel and used it to shampoo my hair. Not only did it wash it well: when my hair was dry (I always let

it dry naturally), it looked very “full”, voluminous as rarely before. (You should know, however, that my hair is naturally slightly wavy and somewhat “voluminous” anyway. I don’t know if the effect described above would be noticeable on naturally straight hair, for example.)

And there’s even more: I often use it to hand-wash fine woollen clothing, too.

So, if anyone asked me why I like Bionsen shower gel so much, I would say: because it’s wonderful for my skin and hair; because it’s safer to use than most other commercially produced body products/shampoos; because it has a very pleasant scent; because even a very small quantity produces abundant foam, so it’s economical.

N.B. Of course, Bionsen also produces other body cleansing products and shampoos – but for some reason the shower gel works the best for me, so I am sticking to it.

Also, their shower gel is now produced in several variants, with different scents (although all are pleasantly light and unobtrusive) and for different purposes (“energising”, “relaxing”, etc.). I tried a few of them but always returned to the simple and unpretentious original formula.

Mario Capiron says :

I am trying to find some Bionsen shampoo, but failing miserably. Can you tell me who stocks the shower gel?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 31902985700828/k2311a029/2.9.10