First 10 Journey bus pass  » Travel  »
  • I only discovered the tickets myself by accident, when I noticed a flyer tucked away on the First website
  • I used to find this quite a problem as there were not very many about, but the PayPoint network has expanded quite a bit in the last couple of years and so now most fair sized towns will have one
  • I think the cost of these cards is quite reasonable
  • I recommend the First 10 Journey card, but suggest you bring along a printout of the relevant First web page the first time you use it, in case the bus driver has not seen one before

• by fredhound

The First 10 Journey bus pass seems to be one of the United Kingdom’s best kept secrets, in that I’ve only ever come across two or three other people who have used it, and not that many more than that who have even heard of the things! I find this very strange, because if you are a person who uses First buses on a fairly frequent basis but not every day, it can often be the cheapest option.

I only discovered the tickets myself by accident, when I noticed a flyer tucked away on the First website. In this case it was for the

Worcestershire region, but similar tickets exist for other parts of the country as well. The basic idea is that you are issued with a card with the numbers 1 to 10 printed on it, and every time you take a journey the bus driver punches a hole through the next number.

You have to buy these tickets from a suitable PayPoint outlet. I used to find this quite a problem as there were not very many about, but the PayPoint network has expanded quite a bit in the last couple of years and so now most fair sized towns will have one. One potential ...

• problem I have been faced with more than once is that the PayPoint machines themselves don’t always seem to be entirely reliable, and are sometimes out of use for a few hours.

One point in this card’s favour from my point of view is that it is NOT a plastic smartcard like a London Oyster card. The problem with those is that you cannot simply glance at them yourself to find out your remaining balance - you have to find a reader. With the simple laminated cardboard and hole punch arrangement of the First card all you have to do is to look at

it and see how many unpunched numbers remain!

I think the cost of these cards is quite reasonable. For example, a card which allows use on any First bus in the Worcestershire area costs £18, so the equivalent of £1.80 per journey. They are valid for a full year, so you can spread your journeys out and still save a lot of money over buying individual daily tickets. I recommend the First 10 Journey card, but suggest you bring along a printout of the relevant First web page the first time you use it, in case the bus driver has not seen one before!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38802983910528/k2311a028/2.8.10