Kodak Color Plus film
  • It is probably not much use for professionals as its very nature (as a mass-produced film for the general market) will mean less tight tolerances than more expensive film, but for everyday use I recommend Kodak Color Plus

• by fredhound

Even though I almost exclusively use digital cameras these days, I do still keep one or two of my old film cameras. This is mostly simply for sentimental reasons, but not entirely as I do like to be able to go out and take photos in the old-fashioned way every so often. Because of that, I need to have some film available, and Kodak Color Plus is one of the few types still widely available.

I can usually find this film in branches of Boots, which is unsurprising given

that they are the chain which still supports film photography more than any other. However, it is also quite easy to find on the internet, and as a general rule the 24-exposure film costs somewhere between two and three pounds before you add on the postage charges. As this is a colour print film, the price does not include processing, and this needs to be borne in mind when budgeting.

The film is made in the United States (although finished in Mexico for some reason), which suggests slightly better ...

• quality than if it was China, though to be fair Chinese-made film is not at all bad these days. The traditional bright yellow colouring of the film carton is instantly recognisable, and although Kodak does not greatly advertise the film’s ISO value (200) you can find it if you look hard on the box.

I didn’t find anything special about the inner container - it’s just a normal cylindrical plastic canister. The film was simple to load into my camera (an SLR) and felt smoothly made and of high

quality. Most importantly of all, the pictures I took with the Kodak film all came back with excellent colour and sharpness, and any problems were simply because of my mistakes.

If you are one of the diminishing band of people who still uses film, then you can have confidence in this. It is probably not much use for professionals as its very nature (as a mass-produced film for the general market) will mean less tight tolerances than more expensive film, but for everyday use I recommend Kodak Color Plus.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 43802983860528/k2311a028/2.8.10