London Gatwick Airport  » Travel  »
London, UK
  • For me, one of the most important things to consider when I decide whether I like an airport or not is how easy it is to get there
  • It is not really a problem getting to Gatwick from central London, but it can take time
  • There's a bus going to Heathrow, it's convenient and it goes quite often
  • In the summer it can be difficult to find a parking place so going with public transport is the best bet
  • I really recommend them, the perfect way to relax before getting into a cramped plane

• by FoTorunn

London Gatwick Airport is located about 45 km south of London. It is bigger than Stansted and Luton, making it London’s second busiest airport and also the second largest international airport. Only Heathrow is bigger. Quite a few cheap airlines operate from Gatwick, and also many flight to the US. This is changing now, as the airport is becoming more of a European than an international airport.

For me, one of the most important things to consider when I decide whether I like an airport or not is how easy it is to get there. It is not really a problem getting to Gatwick from central London, but it can take time. The Gatwick Express goes to Victoria, so it is really easy to get to the underground and other public transport. However, as the Express doesn’t always behave like an express, I always check if there’s any work

going on the tracks, because if so I rather go with a bus.

Normal trains also go to London Victoria, but also to London Bridge and other stations in London. You can also go straight to for example Oxford with bus, without having to change in London. It is easy to get to the other airports, something I’ve taken advantage of several times. There’s a bus going to Heathrow, it’s convenient and it goes quite often.

There’s a train going straight to Luton airport, and for London City airport you can take the train to London Bridge and then change. In the summer it can be difficult to find a parking place so going with public transport is the best bet. Or you can book a parking place before you go. Another important thing is whether the planes are on time or not.

I’ve never been delayed or come ...

• to late at Gatwick, so with regard to timing it’s a great airport. Gatwick has all the normal things passengers want before the fly and when they arrive. There are hotels, both cheap and expensive. There are lots of shops and restaurants.

The shops include a tax-free zone for those flying out of the European Union. It’s about the same price range as similar tax free shops through Europe, at least for alcohol and cigarettes. They also have British food, like short bread and tea bags, but I never bye that at the airport as it is very expensive compared to grocery stores in London. If you have forgotten you travel adaptor, don’t despair! They have about everything you need there, I bought adaptors there, and both for using when traveling and for using at home for things bought in the US.

There’s also a wide selection of other

things you might have forgotten, camera memory cards, batteries, tooth paste etc. If you are on a budget, there’s a Burger King restaurant. It is cheap and safe. You can also more exotic food, sea food, caviar etc, but I’ve stayed with Burger King and Cafe Nero.

It costs and tastes the same as in central London, so for me it is a good choice when I have some time on my hand before my flight. I usually travel with a laptop, so I really like the easy internet access. There are also terminals if you don’t have one. There are enough seats at the gates; the seats aren’t terribly comfortable but not worse than other airports.

If you want to try something more comfortable, you should try the massage chairs. There’s some in every terminal, it costs one pound for three minutes. I really recommend them, the perfect way to relax before getting into a cramped plane.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38802983730528/k2311a028/2.8.10