Sanitas Nurseries and Garden Center, Botswana  » Business  »
P.O. Box 606, Gaborone, Botswana
  • In the last 15 years, I did not take up gardening seriously as I thought that I don’t have a green thumb
  • I started to dab a bit in gardening in Bissau but once I arrived here in Botswana, I decided to do real gardening
  • Actually, this is not the best place to do it as water is scarce (being near to the Kalahari desert with a semi-arid type of climate) and quite expensive
  • I bought some of these types of plants for the garden but I still like to put flowers everywhere
  • It is a really a convenient one stop nursery for everything related to gardening

• by bethbarl

Botswana’s number one export is diamonds. They have also another type of diamonds as it is commonly referred to, Sanitas’ green diamonds (plants). This is a nursery and garden center which is in the city itself of Gaborone, near the Gaborone Dam.

If it was along my daily route, I would not mind going here everyday. The nursery is full of plants, trees and flowers which any lover of nature would appreciate. In the last 15 years, I did not take up gardening seriously as I thought that I don’t have a green thumb. My mother often used to tease me that I had a black thumb as nothing I planted grew. I started to dab a bit in gardening in Bissau but once I arrived here in Botswana, I decided to do real gardening. Actually,

this is not the best place to do it as water is scarce (being near to the Kalahari desert with a semi-arid type of climate) and quite expensive. Of all the houses I have lived though, this one has the biggest space for planting anything from vegetables, herbs to flowers.

I started growing flowers, shrubs and maintained the others which were there already in the garden such as some cactus and trees. However, at one point I grew tired of waiting for them to grow and bloom. I still continued with some starting from scratch (seeds and everything). When I got fed up, I just went to Sanitas and got myself other flowers and seedlings which were ready to transplant. It was quicker and in no time, I had a beautiful garden full of flowers ...

• and shrubs. This nursery has everything from beautiful flowers (pansies, marigolds, begonias, roses), cacti, shrubs (jasmine), palm trees. It has everything every would be gardener or gardener would ever need from pots, potting soil, compost, fertilizer, garden tools and even grass for the lawn.

It actually specializes in drought resistant plants which I find very handy as the country itself has very little rainfall. In fact, their currency is called Pula (translated in the Setswana language as rain) attesting to the need for water in this country. I bought some of these types of plants for the garden but I still like to put flowers everywhere.

Price-wise, Sanitas sells plants at a higher tag than those which you can find once in a while in the supermarkets or those selling in the roadside. But, this nursery has

a lot of choices and if I want something specific, then I know I will find it here. My other complaint is that I bought already some lavender shrubs from them which died rather quickly along with some begonias whose lifespan was also short but probably, I did not care for them correctly.

Altogether, Sanitas is the best place in Gaborone to go to if I ever need garden supplies and plants. It is a really a convenient one stop nursery for everything related to gardening. I don’t always buy everything here but on those occasions that I did, I was satisfied with my purchases. The staff is helpful and polite, the layout of the nursery easy and very pleasant. It even has a tea garden when I need some light refreshments while touring the nursery. Highly recommended.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41802983410528/k2311a028/2.8.10