Medical Imaging Botswana (Independent Radiological Imaging Services)
Unit 20, Westgate Mall, Western ByPass, Gaborone, Botswana
  • The last one I did was in April 2009 and unfortunately, the doctor found a little lump on my left breast
  • I have no idea at all where to find one here in Gaborone and I decided to call a private hospital
  • I believe that even the private hospital itself does not have a mammogram section and as such, all their patients are referred to Medical Imaging
  • Fortunately, they were there for other radiological services so it was not very long before I found myself in their mammogram room
  • I know that there is another private hospital which opened recently in Gabs (they might have a mammogram unit) but at present, this is the only place I know which does mammograms

• by bethbarl

When I turned 40, my gynaecologist recommended that I should do a mammogram. The last one I did was in April 2009 and unfortunately, the doctor found a little lump on my left breast. It was nothing serious he said but just to be sure, he advised that I should redo another one 3 months after. I told the gynaecologist that I have to go back to Africa but he said that I should do it locally and gave me a referral. I could just send the results by email.

I have no idea at all where to find one here in Gaborone and I decided to call a private hospital. At that time (July 2009), the lady told me that there is only one medical center in Gaborone which performs mammogram and

that’s Medical Imaging. I believe that even the private hospital itself does not have a mammogram section and as such, all their patients are referred to Medical Imaging. I had no choice then but to set up an appointment with them as I could not wait for another year before doing another mammogram.

Making an appointment was not difficult at all for me. I did make the appointment 2 months in advance to make sure that I meet the waiting period advised by my own gynaecologist. At one point, I was even apprehensive that the guys at Medical Imaging would forget my appointment so I made sure to call back a week before I was scheduled to make sure that everything was confirmed. I need not worry as my appointment was still there.

I ...

• had to wait a bit in the center before I could be attended to as there were other patients before me. Fortunately, they were there for other radiological services so it was not very long before I found myself in their mammogram room. I found the equipment modern and up-to-date. My only complaint was I had to disrobe in front of the technicians so it was a bit embarrassing. On the other hand, I was there for a mammogram, my modesty was really unfounded.

At any rate, the technicians did the mammogram, repeating the operation even twice just to make sure that a good impression was taken. A radiologist afterwards interpreted the results which also included an ultrasound and a physical breast examination. I thought she was quite confident that she did not

feel anything abnormal. I got the official results the day after and they confirmed what the radiologist said the day before. That was a such a relief to know.

I paid about Pulas 400 for a mammogram which is really cheap compared to paying nearly triple this price in Europe. I was satisfied with the facilities, the service and the price. I would recommend this place for mammograms but I suggest redoing them just to validate the findings. I know that there is another private hospital which opened recently in Gabs (they might have a mammogram unit) but at present, this is the only place I know which does mammograms. As to my own results, I would not let this one slip and I intend to do another mammogram in spring when I go home.

bethbarl replies :

This question is not review-related. Thanks.

ben says :

what medical aid dose Botswana have for poverty

Galega says :

The United Nations is running lots of project for Botswana in the area of health.

The Bill and Melinda Gates, and many other NGOs are also offering health aids to Botswana.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26802983380428/k2311a028/2.8.10