A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens  » Books  »
  • I've always had an aversion to thick books that were set in historic times, reminding me of my history classes that well, were boring
  • I noticed that Dickens was very wordy and liked to over describe things making everything doubly longer
  • I think the unfair treatment was just mentioned in two to three chapters and the rest revolved around the main characters

• by thegirlfrombrazil

The thickness of this book totally daunted me. I’ve always had an aversion to thick books that were set in historic times, reminding me of my history classes that well, were boring. The summary at the back part made me open the book though and start reading.

The story is a classic drama, the type that one would usually see in day time or afternoon

soaps, but with real history and culture attached to it. I noticed that Dickens was very wordy and liked to over describe things making everything doubly longer. Even if some parts were wordy, there were some parts that were vague as well. For some reason, I didn’t really feel the anger and hatred that the citizens involved in the French Revolution were feeling. It was like snap, we’re mad and we’re going to guillotine everyone who did us wrong. There was not much history in this novel to make me fully understand what made the French start the uprising. I think the unfair treatment was just mentioned in two to three chapters and the rest revolved around the main characters. Which leads me to say that the characters in the ...

• A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
      story were very well-developed. They had their own back stories which made them more real and their choices throughout the story believable.

I liked the overall feel of A Tale of Two Cities. The story got off to a rather slow start, but it finished with a bang. It showcased two conflicting worlds in one book, which when you look at as a whole, fits together

perfectly. There is nothing fake about the events that happened, although I would like to think that Sydney Cartons are one in a million nowadays.

The reason why this book has such a hold on me is because heroism in the name of love stands out very clearly in a time when heroism for the nation and for freedom is the norm. It’s just something different and quite unexpected.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17802982600728/k2311a028/2.8.10