San Francisco Bay Cruise Adventure by Blue & Gold Fleet, San Francisco  » Travel  »
Pier 39, The Embarcadero at Beach Street, San Francisco, CA 94133
  • We got a lot of interesting facts about the bridge in the meantime, from the commentary
  • I was happy with the sunny weather and the great snaps we managed to take
  • In all, Blue and Gold gave us a wonderful outdoor experience
  • I would highly recommend this for couples and honeymooners

• by jerrymouse

We got tickets to the San Francisco Bay Cruise Adventure Cruise by Blue & Gold Fleet as part of a package bought from Super Sightseeing Tours. In the morning, we checked out the city attractions on a motor-coach from Super Sightseeing. The tour guide dropped us off at Pier 39 just in time to catch the next Bay cruise. This is a separate $24 value that came with the $72 we paid for the whole package.

Pier 39 has a colorful atmosphere, and there are ample restaurants and restrooms to take advantage of, while you’re waiting to board your cruise ship. By the time we arrived at the marked boarding location, there were already some Korean tourists who had a Korean-speaking guide. We didn’t know if we were supposed to go with that group, until someone from Blue & Gold told us to form a separate line. We were 30 minutes early, and we were joined by other people during the next few minutes. The sun was pretty bright, and there was no concession stand around or sunshade above where the line formed.

After boarding, we went to the topmost level to get unobstructed view. The ship was full, but not at all crowded. As soon as we

started, an audio commentary started, but we could barely listen to it above the noise of the boat engine. They should have a microphone for the top level.

The first attraction of the cruise were seals basking in the sun on some wooden piers, right where the boat sets out to the sea. They were barking incessantly, and it was a good moment to take photographs with my telezoom lens.

The other thing that you could also see from the pier is the island of Alcatraz, the famous maximum-security penitentiary where Al Capone, Birdman Stroud, and Frank Morris were imprisoned. As the boat moves out northwards, the island became more and more prominent, until the boat passed it by. We could look back and see the San Francisco skyline, and the audio commentary gave information about the famous buildings, although it was barely audible. Since we were there in the afternoon, the sun was already against the city skyline. I suppose taking a morning cruise would be much better.

The greatest attraction of the cruise is the Golden Gate Bridge. The boat took us right beneath the bridge, and it was a magnificent sight! We had seen the bridge from a vantage point during our city tour, but our view ...

• was blocked by trees or buildings most of the time. And of course, fog! Fortunately, this time the weather had cleared up, and we had the sun. The red color of the bridge gave it a martian robotic look. The boat kept floating on the waves underneath the bridge for about 5 minutes before turning around. We got a lot of interesting facts about the bridge in the meantime, from the commentary.

On our way back from the bridge, we were joined by a huge flock of seagulls, who were matching their flights with the boat’s speed. They were the star of the show then, and everyone got their cameras out to get a good close-up shot of a flying seagull. During the return trip, we had a good view of the hilly Marin County on the other side of the bridge, as well as of Angel Island, where immigrants on the Western shore of the United States were quarantined before they were allowed in. According to the commentary, Angel Island is also known as the Ellis Island of the West, since it served the same purpose as the latter island which is located near New York Harbor.

The boat took a different route now, and went very close

to Alcatraz. We could clearly see the buildings on the island, and we passed by their dock. The Rock certainly casts an eerie profile on the ocean. Famous inmates and escape attempts were recalled in the audio commentary, and we got to know that the waters of the Bay are freezing even during Summer, and every attempt to cross it from Alcatraz had failed, except probably the one by Frank Morris, depicted in the film ‘Escape from Alcatraz’.

After our brief up-close encounter with Alcatraz, we were brought back to Pier 39, with the lazy seals welcoming us with their barking. It was a great outdoor adventure for both my wife and me. I was happy with the sunny weather and the great snaps we managed to take. The cruise people also took a great photograph of the two of us together at the entrance, which was too gorgeous not to pick up for $30! A bit expensive – yes, but in the end, we’ll cherish the moments more than anything! In all, Blue and Gold gave us a wonderful outdoor experience. I would highly recommend this for couples and honeymooners. I would also suggest getting separate cruise tickets, instead of getting them as part of a package tour.

Taylor Safford says :

Hi Jerrymouse, I am the president of Blue Gold Fleet. Just wanted to say that I enjoyed your review of your trip on our bay cruise adventure. In fact I enjoyed it so much that I would like to use your review as a testimonial on Blue Gold Fleet`s website. Please let me know if that would be OK with you. Next time you are in San Francisco don`t forget to try our new high speed thrill ride, RocketBoat. It`s a blast Anyway, glad you enjoyed the tour and thanks for riding with us. Taylor Safford

Jarir Fadlullah replies :

Dear Taylor, It`s a pleasure to know you read my review and liked the facts. I greatly appreciate your feedback, and yes, I have no objection to using my review on your website, as long as it adheres to ReviewStream`s policies. Thank you for hosting such an enjoyable cruise. We enjoyed it and would recommend it to friends. Looking forward to the Thrill Ride, next time I`m in the Bay Area. Peace Jarir Fadlullah

darlena carter says :

i need to make reservation for the 90min. happy hr cruise around the bay. how do i go about doing that?

Jules Li says :

You can make reservations online. Here’s a link to one website to make the reservation:

darlena carter says :

how can i make reservation for the 90 min. bay cruise?

Jules Li says :

There are a few websites that you can use to make the reservation. Here’s a link to one website to make the reservation:

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38502981820628/k2311a025/2.5.10