Dead Mans Shoes (2004)  » Movies  »
  • I was just about to go to bed when I thought I would watch the first ten minutes of 'Dead Man's Shoes' to see what it was like
  • This is a violent film, directed by Shane Meadows who also co-wrote it with the actor who plays the protagonist, Paddy Considine, but it is intelligent and has a depth to it which I found very moving
  • Richard's feelings are made clear by Considine's amazing and understated performance

• by jeanne71

I was just about to go to bed when I thought I would watch the first ten minutes of ‘Dead Man’s Shoes’ to see what it was like. I thought it was probably just a silly, violent action film or something but I spent the rest of the film transfixed with my mouth hanging open.

This is a violent film, directed

by Shane Meadows who also co-wrote it with the actor who plays the protagonist, Paddy Considine, but it is intelligent and has a depth to it which I found very moving.

Considine plays Richard, a man turned psychopath due to his need to avenge something that a gang did to his mentally disabled younger brother.

I was moved to sympathise with ...

• his character, no matter what depravity he was reduced to.

Richard’s feelings are made clear by Considine’s amazing and understated performance.

There are many jaw-dropping scenes, including the long section where Richard has spiked the gang’s kettle with LSD or something and this scene is directed in such a way that I feel like I am tripping when I watch it.

They

have no idea what they are doing and their vulnerability in the presence of this very dangerous man is evident to us, the audience, but not to them and it is eerily done.

There is also the odd bit where I am made to laugh, slightly nervously.

The Aphex Twin soundtrack suits it to a T.

This is a hardcore movie alright.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11502981690628/k2311a025/2.5.10