Canon 1000D camera  » Cameras  »
  • Not because I have very big hand, I think they are quite normal, but because I use gloves or mittens when I take pictures in the winter
  • The LCD screen is bigger than the LCD screens of for example the 30D, but as sharp and a bit too dark in my opinion
  • That's no problem once you get used to it, it could also be that it was something with that particular LCD screen as I've heard of others who have had the opposite problem or no problem at all
  • I don't like using the biggest telephoto lenses with it so this quite convenient, as I can use a smaller one for most situations
  • The inbuilt sensor cleaning system is the same as for the 500D series, and I love it

• by FoTorunn

The Canon 1000D is Canon’s cheapest digital SLR. It is an entry-level SLR, not as advanced as for example the 500D and other similar cameras. It has a resolution of 10. 1 mega pixels, and weighs 450 grams. It is very small; if you have a small lens you can nearly carry it around in your pocket.

It is too small for me, at least for normal use, for several reasons. When I use my big telephoto lenses, the balance point isn’t in the right place. The lens becomes too heavy compared to the camera body, and I feel like I’m tilting forwards. Because of the size of the camera, the switches are hard to use when I wear gloves.

Not because I have very big hand, I think they are quite normal, but because I use gloves or mittens when I take pictures in the winter. As it can get quite cold it is nice not to have to

take them off. This is much easier with bigger cameras. It is great for taking along to parties and other social occasions, it is not too heavy to carry and it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb as some of the bigger cameras do.

The batteries that come with the camera are smaller than for the 500D series, but they are as good as the bigger batteries. I didn’t have to change more, and it’s easier to bring more spare batteries in you pocket. I think the continuous shooting speed of 3 frames per second is quite good for a camera in this prize-range. It’s only for JPG files though; if you want to take RAW files it is only 1.

5 frames per second which isn’t enough for my taste. As long as you don’t plan to take pictures of fast sports it should be OK though. The ISO range is from 100 to 1600 in steps of ...

• 200, 400 and 800. The 1600 and 800 both give quite grainy pictures so if you want pictures you can make large prints off you’d be better off using the lower ISO range.

The auto-focus works quite well in low-light, so you can take pictures inside without having to use the automatic focus or search for ages after a focusing point. The LCD screen is bigger than the LCD screens of for example the 30D, but as sharp and a bit too dark in my opinion. Quite a few of the pictures I took was a bit too light when I put them on the computer. That’s no problem once you get used to it, it could also be that it was something with that particular LCD screen as I’ve heard of others who have had the opposite problem or no problem at all.

It has a 1. 6 conversion factor for lenses. I don’t like using the biggest

telephoto lenses with it so this quite convenient, as I can use a smaller one for most situations. Of course, the wide-angle lens isn’t really a wide-angle anymore.

This is common problem with many low-range digital SLRs and only way to solve it is to buy a wider wide-angle. The inbuilt sensor cleaning system is the same as for the 500D series, and I love it! The camera body is very sturdy, it has no problems with getting a bit bumped around but it is not as dustproof as I would wish it to be. Then the sensor cleaning system comes in handy, there’s an automatic one when you turn it on and off and you can also turn it on manually. I got good results when I used it several times in a row; it is vibrating so it might not get everything at once.

It is so much better than having to do it yourself though, no risk of ruining the sensor.

Canon 1000D camera

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 43502981650528/k2311a025/2.5.10