Erie Maritime Museum  » Travel  »
Erie, Pennsylvania
  • I found the museum itself to be very impressive with all of it's display and exhibitions
  • I have visited here many times, yet I am continually impressed with this wonderful museum
  • If you'd like to tour the US Brig Niagara, as well as the museum, I suggest that you call first to find out when it will be at it's home port

• by Joyce
      The Erie Maritime Museum is home port to the US Brig Niagara, which is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Official Flagship. I found the museum itself to be very impressive with all of it’s display and exhibitions. When I first walked in for the tour, I was expecting to see glass cases with maritime artifacts and such, but I never expected to see a partial, full-sized construction of a sailing vessel with authentic cannons poking out of it!

More than pictures, drawings, or lectures, seeing this full-sized exhibit of Commodore Perry’s

original flagship, The Lawrence, really brought the history home to me.

It gave me a true feeling of what it must have been like to be on a fighting ship in that era. They even have video footage that shows you the effects of cannon fire.

They also have the prow of the USS Wolverine, the first iron-hulled steamship in the US Navy, and another full-sized exhibit of masts, sails and rigging. I have visited here many times, yet I am continually impressed with this wonderful museum.

I have ...

• never been fortunate to have been there while the US Brig Niagara was in port, since it does travel to other ports on Lake Erie throughout the season. If you’d like to tour the US Brig Niagara, as well as the museum, I suggest that you call first to find out when it will be at it’s home port.

For the schedule, call (814) 452-2744, or visit their website at www. brigniagara.

org. The Erie Maritime Museum is located at 150 East Front Street.

It’s easy to get to from Interstate 90.

Take Interstate 90 until you reach the intersection of I-79.

Follow I-79 North until it turns into the Bayfront Highway. Once it turns into the Bayfront Highway, follow it East across the light on State Street up to the next light at Holland Street.

Make a left onto Holland Street and you will see the red brick building called the Bayview Commons Building. The Erie Maritime Museum is contained within this building.

There are good signs along the way to follow on the whole route to get there!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38141098120131/k2311a1014/10.14.06