The Sunday Times Guide to Movies on Television  » Books  »
  • One of the best things about this book is that it is a normal sized paperback
  • With the Sunday Times guide, I can flick through the book quickly to look up the film I'm watching or one I have noticed listed in the TV guide, and I can keep it by my side all the time
  • I think the print is a little bit too small, but then if it was much larger it would have required a larger format, which as I said above would have been a disadvantage

• by fredhound

The Sunday Times Guide to Movies on Television may not be the newest film guide around - in fact it was first published in the 1970s - but I still really like it because (except, obviously, for new films) it is pretty comprehensive and gives a handy reference to a lot of films which are often shown on classic movie channels or on Sunday afternoons - which is when I can make time to watch them myself!

One of the best things about this book

is that it is a normal sized paperback. A lot of film guides are massive and very heavy tomes, which makes it very uncomfortable to use them while you are actually sitting in front of the television. With the Sunday Times guide, I can flick through the book quickly to look up the film I’m watching or one I have noticed listed in the TV guide, and I can keep it by my side all the time.

I like the simple layout of the book.

• Each page is divided into two columns, and films are arranged alphabetically. I think the print is a little bit too small, but then if it was much larger it would have required a larger format, which as I said above would have been a disadvantage. The ratings system is very simple, ranging from three ticks for a superb classic film such as Casablanca down to three crosses for the large quantity of awful hokum that has been made over the years.

The one thing

I find disappointing in this book is that because it first came out when TV stations were heavily restricted in what films they could show, some of the all-time classics are missed out. Gone With The Wind is one example, so you will have to look elsewhere for a review of that. Even so, I intend to keep my copy of the Sunday Times Guide for the quality and humour of its writing, good enough to flick through simply for fun in a quiet moment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17402980841128/k2311a024/2.4.10