Rustler’s of West Fork by Louis L’Amour
  • Although formula fiction, I found L'Amour's book to be remarkably well-written

• by tfedge
      I was very happy to find four Hopalong Cassidy novels written by Louis L’Amour. Rustler’s of West Fork is the first of these. I’ve always had a special connection with Hopalong Cassidy because when I was four or five years old, I inherited my own Hopalong Cassidy jean jacket as a hand me down from my older brother.

I doubt if I even knew who Hopalong Cassidy was, but I might have seen some of the movies on afternoon television. What I did know was that I had finally grown up enough so I could wear something

my older brother had owned.

Mostly he wore out is clothes or, since he was nine years older than I, by the time I got big enough to wear some of his clothes they had already been given away. So I was pleased and happy to wear the black jean jacket with a Hopalong Cassidy logo.

I felt older and more closely connected with my older brother. L’Amour wrote the four Hoppy books in the late 1940s and maybe stretching into the 1950s a bit.

At the time, he wasn’t well known and had not become ...

• the most famous writer of westerns ever. He took the job of writing them as a “to hire” job and wrote under the name of Tex Burns.

Throughout his life, he denied having writing the book because he wasn’t particularly pleased with them. Despite L’Amour’s feelings Rustlers of the West Fork isn’t bad.

It’s a typical western of the day, the invincible Hopalong Cassidy receives a letter indicating that his friend Dick Jordan and his daughter Pam were in trouble. Pam had been a little girl that last time Hoppy had seen her, but since then she

had grown up to be an attractive, “pert,” young woman.

The young women in such westerns was always “pert” and provided the remote possibility of romance, that rarely cam about. The book is about Hoppy’s efforts to rescue Dick and Pam, which of course are successful.

Although formula fiction, I found L’Amour’s book to be remarkably well-written. I expected the characters to be one dimensional, which they were, so I was able to look past and enjoy a pretty good, easy reading book.

I only wish I still had my Hopalong Cassidy jacket except it probably wouldn’t fit anymore.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17141098070131/k2311a1014/10.14.06