Hawkshead Lomer Rambler Shoes
  • However, it was only after a holiday in Spain that I decided to do some walking and it didn’t have anything to do with keeping fit or losing weight
  • For a few days, while I was recovering, I thought about what footwear to use
  • At last, I found a pair of shoes called ‘Lomer Ramblers’ I had bought the year before
  • I mast admit that there are few more satisfying things to do than to swing along a leafy street with the wind in your face and the thought of something really interesting ahead of you than walking to classes at University
  • However, if you want to rediscover the pleasure of walking and even of getting fit, I strongly recommend it as an alternative to trainers or other, less supportive, all-weather gear

• by Anglecynn

One of the ways that I find keeps me slim and fit is walking. It doesn’t sound sexy or particularly inspiring and it never struck me that there were any benefits to be gained by such a simple means. However, it was only after a holiday in Spain that I decided to do some walking and it didn’t have anything to do with keeping fit or losing weight.

Having put on 8 pounds in weight in two weeks, I decided that I would need to do something about eating less rich food. That seemed sensible, but it wasn’t any kind of diet, it was just returning to normal dishes rather than Mediterranean ones with lots of wine and butter and so forth adding to the calorific intake. At the same time, I was starting a postgraduate course at the nearby university. As luck would have it, it was only about three miles from where I live and the parking is always something to

be careful about around the campus because of the traffic wardens. They are noted for slapping tickets on cars with total abandon, so I decided that I would rely on ‘Shanks’s Pony’ and walk to classes.

For the first few days, I strolled in wearing ordinary walking shoes, but I soon found that I was getting blisters on my heel. That was very uncomfortable, let me tell you! For a few days, while I was recovering, I thought about what footwear to use. At last, I found a pair of shoes called ‘Lomer Ramblers’ I had bought the year before. They’re made by a Lake District company called ‘Hawkshead’ who do all their sales and delivery by mail order. I remembered that these shoes were quite comfortable. So, the next time I was going to the University, I put them on.

I mast admit that there are few more satisfying things to do than to swing along a leafy street with the wind ...

• in your face and the thought of something really interesting ahead of you than walking to classes at University. It’s a challenge on the intellectual front and you are adding to that on the physical front by stretching yourself just that little bit. The shoes were (and still are) wonderful. They have thick, solid soles which are great for walking on slippery surfaces like snow and ice. They are also ideal for walks on uneven surfaces. They are lace-up shoes with the durability of boots, but without the heftiness of that type of footwear. The ones I wear are black, which means that I can, at a push, wear them for business purposes – certainly I can in winter-time – and they lace through large rings, so there is nothing fiddly about replacing them if the laces break. I should add that the laces themselves are very sturdy and are unlikely to shred or fray.

I walked to classes three days a week for

a term, but by the end of a month, I had shed all the eight pounds I wanted to lose and was back to being quite trim again! I had discovered the joys of getting exercise in a gentle, yet effective way by wearing a type of shoe which is designed for getting out and about. It may not be a terribly glamorous type of footwear, but it is extremely comfortable and hasn’t rubbed or chaffed at all. It doesn’t cram your feet in, but it cushions you against wear and tear and rough or uneven road surfaces. The price is very competitive – check the Hawkshead site to see. Hawkshead are operating in a cut-throat marketplace. Their catalogue covers all manner of outdoor gear and the Lomer Rambler is only one of their products. However, if you want to rediscover the pleasure of walking and even of getting fit, I strongly recommend it as an alternative to trainers or other, less supportive, all-weather gear.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 55402980161028/k2311a024/2.4.10