TGI Friday’s (TGIF) Box of Restaurant Potato Skins with Cheese and Bacon  » Food  »
2.0
  • I love when popular restaurants mass-produce an entrée or an appetizer for those of us who like to pinch our pennies every now and then
  • I like to let mine stay in a couple of minutes longer to further melt the cheese and to get a crispy skin

• by C.Channing

I love when popular restaurants mass-produce an entrée or an appetizer for those of us who like to pinch our pennies every now and then. I’ve dined at the TGIF restaurants many times, and my favorite appetizer are the potato skins they serve. The potatoes have a tenderness to them with a crispy skin. It’s packed on with cheese and bacon bits and they are fantastic to munch on before the main course.

When I heard about the TGIF potato skins up for sale in the local grocery stores, I went straight to super Wal-Mart. I assumed other grocery stores

prices would be higher, and the only time I would be able to get a decent deal would be if there was a sale going on. Luckily for me, super Wal-Mart prices are always the same unless there product is nearing it’s expiration date, which prices are significantly lowered.

The box I purchased was a small one, and had just enough potato skins for one serving: There are usually six or seven potato skins in the bag. The cooking time is relatively short: four hundred and fifty degrees for fifteen minutes. I like to let mine stay in a couple ...

• of minutes longer to further melt the cheese and to get a crispy skin. I realized early on that if you want that tender potato that they serve in the restaurants, leave it in the oven to cook a little longer.

The potato skins have that exact same clam shell shape that are served in the restaurants. Before eating, I’ll add a little dab of sour cream as the finishing touch. Even though it’s made by TGIF, it doesn’t have the same high-quality restaurant flavor that TGIF is known for. The potato skins are identical to their restaurant counterpart, but

doesn’t taste the same. It’s like eating a regular baked potato. The bacon bits were good, but the cheese was dull and there wasn’t enough of it. The potato was okay, but I could have made a better one myself.

Overall, TGI Friday’s potato skins with cheese and bacon was okay. I was expecting the restaurant quality to show up in my mouth, and instead I got stood up. It’s mediocre at best and I was surprised this was coming from a restaurant with a great reputation when it comes to their food. I didn’t not like them at all.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27302978641228/k2311a023/2.3.10