A Song of Stone by Iain Banks book  » Books  »
1.5
  • I was hugely disappointed when I read this novel
  • I have read several of Banks' other works and had been impressed, so I came to this book expecting a good read
  • The central character drones on in long meaningless soliloquies about the castle's glory days, which I found extremely boring
  • It was disappointing in that I know that Banks can write very engaging, shocking and interesting storylines, and I just cannot understand why this novel is devoid of any of his usual originality

• by soundhead

I was hugely disappointed when I read this novel. I have read several of Banks’ other works and had been impressed, so I came to this book expecting a good read.

Nothing could have been further from the truth.

The plot centres around an aristocratic couple, dispossessed of their castle during some future war.

This idea in itself wasn’t a bad starting point, but the story never unfolds into anything remotely gripping.

The central character drones on in long meaningless soliloquies about the castle’s glory days, which I found extremely boring.

I will grant that the book is well written, but the language used is much to complicated and self-indulgent.

What action there is can sometimes provide a ...

• A Song of Stone by Iain Banks book
      momentary uplift to the otherwise stagnant plot, but I never really cared what happened to any of the characters.

understand why this novel is devoid of any of his usual originality.

It is a small book, however, so maybe the one saving grace is that, if you do decide to read this novel, you won’t have to do so for long.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17302978461228/k2311a023/2.3.10