TwinMos USB Flash Drive  » Hardware  »
2.5
  • Certainly, I found it very convenient during those times when I used to go to cyber cafes just to check my emails or find useful information on the web
  • I think my cigarette lighter weighs more and is bigger than this flash drive

• by bethbarl

This is the very first flash drive I ever owned. I received it as a gift from my husband when he decided to use fancier ones with a bigger storage capacity such as external disks and drives. I did not mind getting it as a hand me down. It was not even used as he immediately dismissed it as incapable of meeting his storage needs.

When I first got it, I did not know what to do with it. I would later find out that I would have many uses for a flash drive. Certainly, I found it very convenient during those times when I used to go to cyber cafes just to check my emails or find useful information on the web. At that time, this meant spending a lot of hours

in these cafes which were more like sweatshops as they were always overcrowded and the connection was really slow. Once I finally got the pages to load, I would often store the files in this flash drive which I could read later in the comfort of my home.

Indeed, this device was convenient for me as it is weightless. I think my cigarette lighter weighs more and is bigger than this flash drive. It was always a permanent fixture in my purse some years back as I hardly took it out as I would never know when I would get a chance to be near a computer which has an internet connection.

My only grievance is that it has a very small storage capacity, at 512 MB. It hardly holds anything except for documents ...

• which have no graphics or media applications. Once I put some pictures in it, then there is hardly room for anything else. I have long since upgraded to another storage device but I still keep this one.

Although my other flash drive can store a lot of big files, its wider dimension prevents me from using my USB ports which are side by side at the same time. I would then use the TwinMos flash drive if I need to use both USBs, for example, enabling me to maximize all available ports. As my laptop has only 3 of these, I have only 2 ones which are free as 1 is already blocked by my wireless mouse. At least, even if I stick this flash drive in, I would still be

able to use another port for a printer or a scanner whichever device I need.

This is a plug and play device which I got for free. That and owing to the fact that this is the first flash drive that I ever owned has given me a certain affinity to this device for sentimental reasons. It has served me well as a storage device but because of its low capacity, I do not think I will ever buy it for myself. There are devices out there which have better capacities. Even my kids have better ones than this flash drive. In its favour, I find though that the design is adapted to my laptop and that it is portable. Otherwise, its main benefit for me is mostly as an additional storage device for my documents.

Rashid says :

my USB twinMos 8GB is not working properly…. when i plug it with my PC the message appears that u need to formate it…… when i formate it , the message appears that the formate is not completed successfully … can anyone help me ?

Jules Li says :

If the drive does not format, it’s likely to be defective. Just to be sure you should try formatting the drive from a different computer. If it persists, I would suggest contacting TwinMos, especially if it’s under warranty.

Joanna says :

Hi Rashid,

I have never used this particular flash drive, but I did have a different flash drive once that gave me the same message. The problem was that my java was not updated properly. I took it to a computer repair shop where they told me that any new device requires java to properly install. I had to go back and uninstall my java and reinstall a better version. That seemed to do the trick and my USB works just fine now.

I don’t know if your is experiencing the same issue, but it is worth a try. If nothing else, I would definitely suggest taking it to a computer repair store to see if they can help you.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joanna

Galega says :

If you are still not been able to format this flash drive, then you may need to change the method. Here are simple guidelines which may help you to completely erase all data from your memory.

bethbarl replies :

TwinMos has an existing manual online PDF file. I have not experienced this problem though. It first ran on a Windows 98 OS and currently on an XP. I even tried it on Vista just now. It automatically asks for a scan and fixes directories. No issues here. You might also want to check a forum on fixing errors and formatting USB Flash Drives. From what I have read, while formatting, make sure to check the right format by checking on the general properties on the USB for example, FAT or FAT2. Or check for customer support from the shop where you bought the USB? Good luck.

Galega says :

It is not simple click and done sort of things when formatting device for FAT32 or NTFS. Following steps may be used in this pursuit:
    Connect the USB storage device to the computer.
    Open Disk Utility.
    Click to select the USB storage device in the left panel.
    Click to change to the Erase tab.
    In the Volume Format: selection box, click. MS-DOS File System.
    Click Erase.
    At the confirmation dialog, click the Erase.
    Close the Disk Utility window.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 33202977880828/k2311a022/2.2.10