Sherlock Holmes (2009 Movie)  » Movies  »
  • My friends and I went to watch it in early January, and suffice it to say that we weren’t disappointed with Ritchie’s take on Arthur Conan Doyle’s super sleuth
  • Some critics apparently take issue with this, but hey—I’m just a regular moviegoer who loves to see cool characters doing cool stuff
  • That’s why it’s a thumbs up in my opinion

• by poyayan

One of the most anticipated movie releases recently was Sherlock Holmes, directed by Guy Ritchie, produced by Joel Silver, and starring Robert Downey, Jr. as the protagonist detective and Jude Law as Holmes’ doctor assistant Watson. My friends and I went to watch it in early January, and suffice it to say that we weren’t disappointed with Ritchie’s take on Arthur Conan Doyle’s super sleuth.

See, I’ve only read one Sherlock Holmes short story my whole

life. Maybe that’s why I wasn’t all that bothered that Guy Ritchie’s version of the 19th-century era detective was totally different from the source character or whatever personality readers of the stories associate with the character. This Sherlock is one for the 21st century, albeit the movie is still set in a sort of 19th-century steampunk-driven London. Some critics apparently take issue with this, but hey—I’m just a regular moviegoer who loves to see cool characters doing cool stuff.

Acting-wise, Downey made a brilliant display for the kind of character Ritchie wants to portray. These roles really suit the actor, and as such, it’s no wonder Downey won the Golden Globe award for best actor in a comedy or musical. Jude Law was a good complement, albeit his Watson was even farther from the Conan Doyle version. Mark Strong, who played the role of the main antagonist Lord Blackwood, was a ...

• Sherlock Holmes (2009 Movie)
      very menacing villain.

This Sherlock Holmes film is nothing like the ones in the 1940s. Ritchie’s take featured a ton of action, which is a primary reason why this Holmes is so far removed from the original thinking-intensive detective. There’s more action than actual detective work, actually. So, those looking for a 19th-century CSI might need to change their expectations a little.

Still, the film offers a lot to be delighted about. The set is really great

and looks very much like the old London. The cinematography and lighting also helps accent the period of the film.

In the film, Holmes quotes one of the Doyle short stories: “Data, data, data—I can’t make bricks without clay.” This film makes use of an altogether-different kind of clay to make the brick of Sherlock Holmes. It’s an all-new, all-different take—perhaps too different—but it makes for great entertainment. That’s why it’s a thumbs up in my opinion.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11202977480728/k2311a022/2.2.10