The Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien book
  • The second time I tried I nearly gave up again, but once I got past the first chapter it was no problem
  • Some of the stories are in my opinion good enough to be read on their own, others feel more like background information, but I think everyone who like Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit will find something they like in the Sil

• by FoTorunn

The Silmarillion is in some way a prequel to the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, but unlike those, it is not one story with a start and an ending. The Sil, as it is known as among those who have read it a few times, is Tolkien’s attempt at writing a history of Middle Earth up to about the time

of the Hobbit.

I liked both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings first time I read them, but as I tried to read the Sil in English before I was used to reading English books I gave up the first time.

The second time I tried I nearly gave up again, but once I got past the first chapter it ...

• was no problem.

The language isn’t easy, but that is part of the charm.

You don’t accept anything written in the dawn of time to be an easy read, so as the first part is about the creation of Middle Earth, the sometimes archaic language is quite fitting.

The rest of the book is more like a collection of stories sorted

chronologically.

There are quite a lot of names, I had to read it twice to find out who everyone is.

Some of the stories are in my opinion good enough to be read on their own, others feel more like background information, but I think everyone who like Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit will find something they like in the Sil.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17202977160728/k2311a022/2.2.10