Lord of the Rings book
  • Lord of the Rings is one of the best known fantasy books, written straight after the second world war by JRRTolkien
  • My answer is most definitely yes, at least if you like long books
  • I didn't have a problem finishing, and as each of the three books are divided in two parts I never felt stuck
  • The first time I read it I didn't like that part as good as the rest of the book, but it has grown on me and now it is one of my favourite parts
  • Since this is the only thing I miss, I'd definitely recommend reading it

• by FoTorunn

Lord of the Rings is one of the best known fantasy books, written straight after the second world war by JRRTolkien. It has been the inspiration of many other fantasy books and quite a few films, amongst them several animated films and the hugely popular ones made by Peter Jackson some years ago. So, is there any point in spending days reading the books instead of or in addition to seeing the films?

My answer is most definitely yes, at least if you like long books. I didn’t have a problem finishing, and as each of the three books are divided in two parts I never felt stuck. The first part of the first book is a bit different from the rest

of the book. The pace is lower, if you haven’t read the Hobbit you might get a bit confused about what’s it all about. The first time I read it I didn’t like that part as good as the rest of the book, but it has grown on me and now it is one of my favourite parts.

There are a lot of characters of different races in the books. As can be expected from a book written by a language professor, there are also a lot of made up languages, one for the dwarves, several for the elves and some for the men. I’ve never learned any of them :-) I have however read the appendix on pronunciation quite thoroughly, and

I think the languages add an extra dimension to the books. It seems more real when places and people have different names in different languages, and when people express sorrow or joy in their own tongue, not some common language. Tolkien knew what he was doing, so to me none of the names seem too made up. For me that can be a problem with some fantasy books, the names get very long with several hyphenations and unpronounceable consonant combinations.

When I read Lord of the Rings the first time, I got a new surprise on every side. Sure, some of the characters are quite predictable. There’s the brave but troubled hero, the wise wizard and the comical side-kick, but most ...

• Lord of the Rings book
      of the main characters aren’t so one-dimensional that you can guess their every move. There are also many minor characters that don’t really fit any stereotype, animals and humans, elves and dwarves. I like how most of them get to show their value through some act of valour or kindness, without it ever getting cheesy.

There are many references to Middle Earths history in Lord of the Rings. As Tolkien had it all pretty well sorted out there’s no mistakes, and the references give a sense of depth and reality to the different societies that live in Middle Earth. There’s quite a few appendices, explaining language, history etc. I’ve read all of them now, but the first time I read the books

I didn’t have any problem enjoying them without having read any of the appendices. I read the Hobbit before I read Lord of the Rings, if I hadn’t; I think I would have found the first chapters a bit confusing.

So, is there anything not good with Lord of the Rings? Well, there are not a lot of female characters, and most of the ones that are there end up married in the happily ever after part. I didn’t really miss it, and I’m not if it’s fair to accept a strong female character from an old, traditional English professor, but something a bit less predictable would have been nice. Since this is the only thing I miss, I’d definitely recommend reading it.

Swaroop kumar says :

re : Since this is the only thing I miss, I’d definitely recommend reading it
Yes, it’s a fantastic book. It’s a universal fiction and fantasy books. Good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17102975390528/k2311a021/2.1.10