Keen Targhee II Midcut Hiking Boot  » Clothes  »
  • My Targhee IIs have accompanied me just about everywhere and I’m really glad I bought them

• by Chris

In the course of my work and life I often find myself heading “off the beaten path” to have to get things done. Of course one of the prerequisites for being able to manage this sort of lifestyle is having good shoes. Not just good looking shoes, mind you, but shoes that can stand up to the rigors of your daily life. And in this part of the world, that includes rainstorms and muck on the streets – and the occasional trip to a rainforest for me.

Fortunately footwear such as the Keen Targhee II hiking boot is readily available. It’s

very protective – guaranteed waterproof, even, thanks to Keen’s usage of eVent waterproof lining (I hear Keen’s using its own waterproof fabric now, Keen.Dry, no idea why they switched) – without being horribly heavy because it’s constructed of some really advanced materials. Some really protective boots on the market nowadays weigh a ton, which might be bearable at the outset but can be nothing short of torture at the end of a long day. You can depend on this terrific boot to help get you through even the toughest situations.

I chose this particular model because I wanted protection all the way up to my ankles. Local stores also stock a lower-cut version of this boot, but because it’s low-cut you only get protection up to the top of your foot, and I wanted the extra coverage just in case. The eVent interior waterproof lining extends all the way from the toes to the top of the ankle, and even almost all the way up the tongue too. I can vouch for how well this lining works – I had to ford a couple of rather deep, fast-flowing streams during a trip to the forest some months back, and even had ...

• Keen Targhee II Midcut Hiking Boot
      to stand in the water for minutes on end – and was very happy to see that not a drop penetrated through to the interior of the boots. At the end of some days of being on the hoof, my feet have been quite painful, but that happens with practically any sort of shoe I wear irrespective of how cushioned it is.

There are two color variants, brown with red trimmings and black with gold trimmings; after some deliberation I decided on the latter as black goes with more colors than brown. The boot has aged very well, gaining some creases

and scuffs from constant usage, which make it look well-used and distinguished. Some usage marks have proven hard to remove, though, and I wish they could easily be erased without me having to take my boots to the shop. I also wish my favorite pair of jeans could sit better on the upper end of these boots, but then that’s just me being fussy.

My Targhee IIs have accompanied me just about everywhere and I’m really glad I bought them. They’ve been nothing but perfectly dependable and functional and I plan to buy another pair when these wear out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 55102974980428/k2311a021/2.1.10