Pure Silk Cologne  » Perfume  »
  • The drydown is lovely, in my opinion, because it maintains and even emphasizes the demure and delicate femininity of the initial impression
  • It's as if a note had been removed from it, making it ever so slightly less interesting, more flimsy
  • And, interestingly enough, I have noticed that men tend to react very favorably to it

• by Pretty Polly

It is an often observed phenomenon in the perfume industry that sometimes - perhaps not very frequently, but sometimes - certain “lesser” brands or fragrances actually smell much better than much more famous and much more expensive fragrances. (It has a lot to do with marketing and targeting certain demographic groups.)

One such brand is - or was - the venerable and ever-popular Yardley of London (one of the oldest perfume companies in the world!). It is a well-known “secret” that a few of their fragrances were a sheer delight and could easily compete with much more expensive brands, in terms of loveliness and pleasure for the wearer.

In 1982, Yardley produced a “cologne concentrate” called Pure silk.

Being the fragrance snob that I was at the time, I would never have known about it, if I

hadn’t been given a bottle of it by my father, as a birthday present, a few years later.

Truth be told, I never trusted my father’s “nose” or taste in perfume. But it was a birthday present, so I put a few drops on, without expecting much.

I was surprised.

While the fragrance wasn’t exactly “me”, it was poignantly soft and slightly melancholic; and for some reason, it reminded me - it still does - of lavender.

I don’t know if there is any lavender in it AT ALL - the exact composition seems impossible to find at this point, certainly on the internet. Pure Silk is marketed as a “classic floral chypre, with a sophisticated blend of exotic top notes, a floral heart and a warm patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and musk”.

It’s just a guess,

• of course, but the top notes might include bergamot, PERHAPS coriander (not sure abot this at all!) and unidentified floral notes.

The musk is very, very soft (which is very good from my point of view), while the combination of patchouli and vetiver gives the composition a certain - very welcome - “sobriety”

I must say, it is a distinctly uni-linear fragrance, i.e. it doesn’t develop into much more than what is there at the beginning.

But in certain cases - and this is such a case - that is actually a good thing. The drydown is lovely, in my opinion, because it maintains and even emphasizes the “demure” and delicate femininity of the initial impression.

It seems the fragrance had been discontinued at some point, because in 2000 it was relaunched - this time by

Mayfair.

I still have some of the original left, so I could compare it with the new edition. The basic composition still smells exactly the same - even the “melancholy” note is still there - but it does feels somewhat “lighter”. It’s as if a note had been removed from it, making it ever so slightly less interesting, more flimsy. I am willing to bet the oakmoss content has been reduced (in compliance with the regulations introduced in the 1990s). Oakmoss provides a stable base to more ephemereal notes, “anchoring” them and giving them a certain depth at the same time.

Pure silk isn’t a “bright” fragrance: it’s not merry, spunky, or particularly “dynamic”. But it has a deeply feminine quality to it. And, interestingly enough, I have noticed that men tend to react very favorably to it.

My rating: 7/8.

quick note by anonymous :

So agree. This was one top notch perfume. I usually go by the compliments after I choose my next perfume. And I’ve never had so many men tell me I smell good . Lol women too. Hoping to find a supplier as I haven’t been able to buy it in Australia for many years.

Joanna says :

hello,

thanks a lot for this review. I had no idea, that the fragrance has been rebranded. I have just purchased a Myfair remake online, and I wait impatiently for it to arrive. let’s hope it’s going to be really similar, since it was my first parfume, when I was a teenager:) and I’ve been looking for it ever since. I also remember these “you smell great” comments - let’s see, if they repeat :P.

best,
    Joanna

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 56102974970428/k2311a021/2.1.10